The Student Room Group

Making an IB study timetable

I've been doing IBDP for 6 weeks now and since the third week our teachers have told us to make study timetables already?! Usually i wouldn't start a month (realistically a day) before my exams but this time I want to start early.

Anyway... how should I structure my timetable? I procrastinate everynight and spend 3 hours on something which should take me 30 minutes. (i also do hl art which already is taking a lot of time up)

Could anyone pls tell me how much i should study and any tips for time management (i do my work when I have a lot to do e.g. extracurricular, sport etc)
Original post by isabellazafe
I've been doing IBDP for 6 weeks now and since the third week our teachers have told us to make study timetables already?! Usually i wouldn't start a month (realistically a day) before my exams but this time I want to start early.

Anyway... how should I structure my timetable? I procrastinate everynight and spend 3 hours on something which should take me 30 minutes. (i also do hl art which already is taking a lot of time up)

Could anyone pls tell me how much i should study and any tips for time management (i do my work when I have a lot to do e.g. extracurricular, sport etc)

Depends on your subjects. Ideally, you would spend more time on HL subjects. I can't give you an estimate of how much time you should study as everyone is different. I would say once you've been assigned work to do, do it on the same day. IB is doable if you're highly organized.
Original post by Mimi0003
Depends on your subjects. Ideally, you would spend more time on HL subjects. I can't give you an estimate of how much time you should study as everyone is different. I would say once you've been assigned work to do, do it on the same day. IB is doable if you're highly organized.

ok thanks, i haven't been given any IAs yet and have more free time then I will in a few months. Should I just relax or spend my free time studying. I'm scared I'll burn out if I revise when I don't have a lot on my plate but I want to do well at the same time
Original post by isabellazafe
ok thanks, i haven't been given any IAs yet and have more free time then I will in a few months. Should I just relax or spend my free time studying. I'm scared I'll burn out if I revise when I don't have a lot on my plate but I want to do well at the same time

As a former IB-er, you should definitely relax while you have the chance to because soon you won't have that luxury :tongue:

That said for certain subjects (maths, your language, and if you are taking it visual arts) you should make a point of keeping on top of things by doing some work every week if not every day (for maths and languages anyway, for art it's not really feasible to do something every day for most people), as these are cumulative subjects and so you can't just coast a bit now and then consolidate your knowledge in revision as much as you can in other subejcts.
Original post by artful_lounger
As a former IB-er, you should definitely relax while you have the chance to because soon you won't have that luxury :tongue:

That said for certain subjects (maths, your language, and if you are taking it visual arts) you should make a point of keeping on top of things by doing some work every week if not every day (for maths and languages anyway, for art it's not really feasible to do something every day for most people), as these are cumulative subjects and so you can't just coast a bit now and then consolidate your knowledge in revision as much as you can in other subejcts.

K thank you. For years I've been saying I'll do my language (french) and maths every day but never start. Especially for languages idk what to do, Idk if doing 15 minutes every morning and night outside of homework assigned is too much or too little. But my main issue is what do I do? I always need a plan before I start anything, I was thinking of doing 15 minutes of flashcards in the morning and at night alternate between a practice speaking, writing, reading and listening. Does this sound good? also, if I do 15 minutes of maths questions every morning will that be good? I use to do GCSEs and used 'Corbett maths 5-a-day' which was really helpful because they got questions from all topics but I can't find anything like it for IB. Should I just use that again or do questions focusing on the topic I'm currently learning in class. I know the best thing is to just try it and see what works best for me but idk I always need a plan. Sorry for the really looonnngg message (also maths and french are my worst subject)
Just recite a declension or conjugation (as applicable) or translate a couple of sentences (and check your working!), or write a short vocab list and read it out (perhaps with them all in one tense or whatever, and then also add in other tenses as you are reading them out) for languages - flashcards are useful for these purposes because you can quickly check after doing the work in the target language. You can also record yourself reciting them/saying out the things out loud and listen to it for pronunciation as well.

For maths just work through a couple short practice problems. Even just doing one thing for each subject a day is better than nothing - It just helps internalise all the processes and material you need to know for them! The important thing is to not think of it as a big task you need to set yourself each day, just find some small way to work with the material regularly.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending