OrdinaryPlate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My predicted grades are ABC, is it worth applying to a psychology course that’s has AAB-ABB requirements, since I guess it’s only one below?
Juneptpt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you really want to do that course then apply, as it’s only one below. But it would also be sensible to apply for ones that match or are slightly lower than your predicted grades as well in case it doesn’t work out.
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would go for it! Just make sure your other options are achievable and match your predicted grades, just in case it doesn’t work out!

UCAS allows you to have 5 choices and you are encouraged to choose -

-1 aspirational choice (just higher than your predicted grades)
-2 or 3 solid options (matching your predicted grades)
-1 or 2 safe options (below your predicted grades)

This way you have a broad range of options and some are definitely attainable.

You don’t have to do it this way but it is a good way to think of it!

But yes, definitely go for it and make sure your other choices are reachable!
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by OrdinaryPlate)
My predicted grades are ABC, is it worth applying to a psychology course that’s has AAB-ABB requirements, since I guess it’s only one below?
Hey OrdinaryPlate

I would say yes. You aren't so far off the entry requirements that it would be a definite no, in my opinion. This of course varies on how competitive entry is for your chosen course, and if the academic requirements are AAB for a reason (e.g. some of our Engineering courses will require A Level Maths and Physics at A/B). I'd encourage you to apply for universities in that range, as long as you make sure a couple of your other choices have slightly lower entry requirements and can act as a 'back up' just in case you don't receive any offers.

What is it you'd like to study? Do you know where you'd like to go yet?

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Reps
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, it's worth it so long as the rest of your choices are in and around your predictions.
OrdinaryPlate
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey OrdinaryPlate

I would say yes. You aren't so far off the entry requirements that it would be a definite no, in my opinion. This of course varies on how competitive entry is for your chosen course, and if the academic requirements are AAB for a reason (e.g. some of our Engineering courses will require A Level Maths and Physics at A/B). I'd encourage you to apply for universities in that range, as long as you make sure a couple of your other choices have slightly lower entry requirements and can act as a 'back up' just in case you don't receive any offers.

What is it you'd like to study? Do you know where you'd like to go yet?

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Reps
Hi,
That’s very helpful thank you!
Actually funnily enough I’m thinking of applying to Strathclyde for history which is ABB
The others are Exeter for history and Lincoln for Psychology
From people’s advice I am thinking hopefully I could get a conditional offer from Strathclyde, since the requirement is only one grade below?
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
Actually funnily enough I’m thinking of applying to Strathclyde for history which is ABB
From people’s advice I am thinking hopefully I could get a conditional offer from Strathclyde, since the requirement is only one grade below?
OrdinaryPlate oh fab! So glad to hear that Are you planning to join us from 2nd year? You could also continue to study History & Psychology together with us- this is an option you can pick up once you start at Strathclyde! Just in case you were hoping to keep both of your interests there

I'd say so, we would certainly love to receive your application based on what you've said. For 1st year entry, offers are generally ABB-BBB. If you're considering Year 2 entry so that you complete your degree in 3 years as is generally the case in England, offers are around the AAA-ABB range. I'd say you stand a good chance of being considered for an offer, and even if you don't meet your conditions for any reason- the department may still consider you for 1st year entry and offer you that as a backup after results day. Entry can be quite competitive overall, so the faculty staff will be keen to see a strong personal statement and reference alongside your grades.

Hope this makes sense! If you've any questions please do get in touch!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
OrdinaryPlate
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
OrdinaryPlate oh fab! So glad to hear that Are you planning to join us from 2nd year? You could also continue to study History & Psychology together with us- this is an option you can pick up once you start at Strathclyde! Just in case you were hoping to keep both of your interests there

I'd say so, we would certainly love to receive your application based on what you've said. For 1st year entry, offers are generally ABB-BBB. If you're considering Year 2 entry so that you complete your degree in 3 years as is generally the case in England, offers are around the AAA-ABB range. I'd say you stand a good chance of being considered for an offer, and even if you don't meet your conditions for any reason- the department may still consider you for 1st year entry and offer you that as a backup after results day. Entry can be quite competitive overall, so the faculty staff will be keen to see a strong personal statement and reference alongside your grades.

Hope this makes sense! If you've any questions please do get in touch!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Will do, thank you!
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
Hi OrdinaryPlate

Its great to hear that your thinking of applying to the University of Lincoln! All the information for the BSc (Hons) Psychology course can be found by Clicking me! . This link will give you all the information of how you study here and the course details.

Have you visited us before? If not, Click this to have a virtual explore round!

If you have any further questions, please feel free to respond to this message, or you can message us on UniBuddy too 😊

Stay safe and well,

Callum - Business and Management (3rd year)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads