ChemBioPsych1335
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
What type of people are jobs like healthcare right for because people tell me pharmacy jobs are boring but I feel like I would enjoy it but I’m not sure what it’s about someone plz tell me about Mpharm pharmacy course plz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ChemBioPsych1335)
What type of people are jobs like healthcare right for because people tell me pharmacy jobs are boring but I feel like I would enjoy it but I’m not sure what it’s about someone plz tell me about Mpharm pharmacy course plz
The course is interesting and varied. The job at the end, particularly in community can be dull and stressful.
ChemBioPsych1335
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0895)
The course is interesting and varied. The job at the end, particularly in community can be dull and stressful.
I really want to take the course at uni once I finish college, how is the job dull and stressful? Whenever I went to the pharmacy I thought the pharmacist was just taking it easy just giving the medicine from the prescriptions, what is their actual job that I don’t see?
Last edited by ChemBioPsych1335; 3 weeks ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I really want to take the course at uni once I finish college, how is the job dull and stressful? Whenever I went to the pharmacy I thought the pharmacist was just taking it easy just giving the medicine from the prescriptions, what is their actual job that I don’t see?
Hey ChemBioPsych1335!

I am a third year pharmacy student so I can give you a bit more of an insight on the role of the Pharmacist.

Pharmacists in community are responsible for everything that goes on in that pharmacy.
Their main role is checking for drug interactions and clinical appropriateness for the medicines that the patients are prescribed
They also have to check that the medicine has been dispensed correctly (by a dispenser).
On top of this they may also have to do flu vaccines / other types of vaccines, plus give advice to any patients that may walk in needing help.
The pharmacist also has to meet targets - such as the number of patients having a medicine use review done (which is now being phased out) and the new medicines service - which could involve calling up patients and checking how they're getting on with their new medication
All of this and they help answer the phones, and sometimes label the prescriptions too! So it is a busy job - but it is the same most days.

You can also be a Pharmacist in a hospital which involves taking drug histories from patients, checking any drug interactions and counselling patients on their meds upon discharge.

Pharmacists can also be independent prescribers - you take a course and prove to be knowledgeable in a field of your choice (eg blood pressure) and then you can prescribe medication for that.

Pharmacists are also now moving into the GP surgery and seeing patients and reviewing their medication etc.

The field for Pharmacist is vast - it even includes industry if you're really interested.
So I would say theres a lot to do being a Pharmacist

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
ChemBioPsych1335
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey ChemBioPsych1335!

I am a third year pharmacy student so I can give you a bit more of an insight on the role of the Pharmacist.

Pharmacists in community are responsible for everything that goes on in that pharmacy.
Their main role is checking for drug interactions and clinical appropriateness for the medicines that the patients are prescribed
They also have to check that the medicine has been dispensed correctly (by a dispenser).
On top of this they may also have to do flu vaccines / other types of vaccines, plus give advice to any patients that may walk in needing help.
The pharmacist also has to meet targets - such as the number of patients having a medicine use review done (which is now being phased out) and the new medicines service - which could involve calling up patients and checking how they're getting on with their new medication
All of this and they help answer the phones, and sometimes label the prescriptions too! So it is a busy job - but it is the same most days.

You can also be a Pharmacist in a hospital which involves taking drug histories from patients, checking any drug interactions and counselling patients on their meds upon discharge.

Pharmacists can also be independent prescribers - you take a course and prove to be knowledgeable in a field of your choice (eg blood pressure) and then you can prescribe medication for that.

Pharmacists are also now moving into the GP surgery and seeing patients and reviewing their medication etc.

The field for Pharmacist is vast - it even includes industry if you're really interested.
So I would say theres a lot to do being a Pharmacist

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
That’s definitely helped thank you
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That’s definitely helped thank you
Ask Eloise for the stats on people in GP practice pharmacy, and the stats for industry jobs. It's about 5% and less than 1% respectively. (community 60-70%, hospital 20-25% depending on area) I will concede GP work is an expanding area but by the time people applying now qualify in the mid 2020s, all those jobs will be pretty much full.
In my year of around 80 people, no-one went onto work in industry. The only industry I know of is the tech industry for a guy who left working for Lloyds and retrained in computers and coding and is making a killing. Not £18 an hr stressed to the max at a Lloyds pharmacy.

Eloise is mostly correct on the job of a community pharmacist. One thing she missed is the lack of staff compared to 5-10 yrs ago, the increase in workload and the stress in trying to complete the tasks she lists. Her little smiley face should really be a knackered out of breath one!
If you want to work with people and help them, continue your psychology and do a psychology degree, then a masters and train to be a clinical psychologist, perhaps for the NHS, or the school system, or train to be a private counsellor/therapist and charge £40-50 an hour. Go look on the BACP site and see what private therapists charge per 50 minute slot.
A.I. and robotics can't replace therapy in the near future, but they can certainly replace pharmacists.

To try and find out what work you would be suited to, look up Myers-Briggs personality test online to see which of the 16 personality types you are, and then that will guide you onto the areas of work and career that would be most suited. There are many free online tests. Take it several times though on different sites to get a relatively true result.
Last edited by 0895; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads