The Student Room Group

french writing gcse

Would you get any extra marks in the french writing assessment if you use any cultural information that you know about france?
Probably not really, unless it specifically asks you for cultural information in the question?
I'm not sure about "extra" marks, but if it fits to the question and relates to the bullet points then I'd say use it. Be careful not to use unimportant information as you risk not hitting the bullet points which will hinder your mark. What I'd say is not to focus on learning cultural information - practice using grammatical structures and having a wide range of vocab as that's the most important thing for GCSE Writing. If you're on higher tier then make sure to use advanced tenses - using structures involving imperfect, conditional and other high level tenses will aid your mark more than cultural knowledge.

As for grammar, I'd really recommend reading this page (if you're using AQA). That outlines what grammar you're expected to know - using the stuff from the higher section accurately in your writing is what will get you the top marks for that paper.

And, as a side note if you're looking at taking French at A-Level, cultural knowledge is very prevalent at A-Level and is a key part of the course so, whilst it might not always be suitable to use it in your GCSE exam, don't shy away from reading around French culture as it will help you a lot if you are interested in taking it at A-Level.

Quick Reply

Latest