ezrxtvghj
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Would anyone be able to help with this question? I've tried it a few times but had a different answer every time

"Find an equation of the line of the intersection of the planes x + y − z = 0 and 2x − 5y − z = 1"
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ezrxtvghj)
Would anyone be able to help with this question? I've tried it a few times but had a different answer every time

"Find an equation of the line of the intersection of the planes x + y − z = 0 and 2x − 5y − z = 1"
Post your working.

If you used two different methods, it's possible that your two answers represent the same line, and both are valid.
ezrxtvghj
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Post your working.

If you used two different methods, it's possible that your two answers represent the same line, and both are valid.
Name:  20201028_114226.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  311.0 KBName:  20201028_114142.jpg
Size:  122.8 KB
Attached files
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 3 weeks ago
Name:  20201028_114142.jpg
Size:  122.8 KB
In your second image - quoted here - where did the third line come from: z+y=(1+z+5y)/2

Should be z-y, if I read it correctly.
ezrxtvghj
Rep:
?
In your second image - quoted here - where did the third line come from: z+y=(1+z+5y)/2

Should be z-y, if I read it correctly.
oh yeah! must've read it wrong, so if I change a few things and the equations end up being x=1+6t, y=t and z=1+7t would that be correct?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 3 weeks ago
oh yeah! must've read it wrong, so if I change a few things and the equations end up being x=1+6t, y=t and z=1+7t would that be correct?
Agreed.
ezrxtvghj
Rep:
?
Agreed.
thank you so much for the help!
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 3 weeks ago
thank you so much for the help!
I presume you're happy with the fact that your two equations represent the same line.

For the benefit of others:
Direction vectors are scalar multples of each other, and:
Set the parameter for the line equal to 0 in each parameterisation to get two points, and check that one minus the other is a multiple of either of the direction vectors.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise