The Student Room Group

Keep making mistakes at new job and it is making me feel physically ill with stress

Hi,

I started a new job last week, effectively my first proper job, although I have had internships in the past which I really enjoyed.

It is working remotely which I find really tough, as I can't ask questions or seek clarification like you can when in an office. Some things I do well, and have received good feedback, however there are so many things I just don't understand. Also I never have any contact with my line manager (except once a week in a team meeting).

I keep making little mistakes and they are starting to add up. I feel like an idiot and dread the sound of receiving a new email, with me inevitably having to reply with an apology for getting something wrong.

It has gotten so bad that I am physically sick every morning and can't sleep.

I was thinking of asking my line manager if I could schedule a daily catch up every morning (like in my old role) to go through all my tasks and discuss any questions I have but she is so busy I don't know what her response would be.

Or maybe I am just in the wrong role.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Hi there,
Working remotely does not mean that you shouldn’t be receiving any guidance at all. The only way you can work effectively and sufficiently is if you understand fully what you have been asked to do. Your manager may be busy but her responsibility is to ‘manage’ you otherwise she isn’t doing her job very well. The worst thing to do is to blame yourself for not being given enough help and guidance.
I would suggest you speak to her privately after your weekly team meeting rather than e-mail as you can get a little lost in translation, and explain what you are finding difficult. If there are specific parts of your role you are struggling with, tell her. Ask any questions you need to so you can clarify how best to do your work. Explain that you’re not being complacent but rather need clarity so you could work to the best of your ability but feel you’re unable to do so at the moment because of the lack of communication. Which is a fault on her part by the way- not yours.
Do not be afraid to ask questions or for guidance. You are well within your right to do so.

Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I started a new job last week, effectively my first proper job, although I have had internships in the past which I really enjoyed.

It is working remotely which I find really tough, as I can't ask questions or seek clarification like you can when in an office. Some things I do well, and have received good feedback, however there are so many things I just don't understand. Also I never have any contact with my line manager (except once a week in a team meeting).

I keep making little mistakes and they are starting to add up. I feel like an idiot and dread the sound of receiving a new email, with me inevitably having to reply with an apology for getting something wrong.

I was thinking of asking my line manager if I could schedule a daily catch up every morning (like in my old role) to go through all my tasks and discuss any questions I have but she is so busy I don't know what her response would be.

Any advice?

I greatly sympathise with you. It happens to everyone even if it doesn't seem like it.

Part of me wants to say, pay more attention to what you're doing. Don't take it personally, when you play football your team mates have a go at you, it's the same thing. You're good enough for the job otherwise you categorically would not be there given how competitive the employment market is. If you're passionate about something then you understand bthe underlying process and recognise mistakes before making them.

It sounds to me though, that you're doing something operational which requires you to complete variations of the same mundane tasks and you're not motivated. Younmight be better suited for research/project based work where you can't make 'mistakes' - the thought process matters more than the final output. Most people have to do operational work before research.
Reply 3
Original post by mahmoodjr
I greatly sympathise with you. It happens to everyone even if it doesn't seem like it.

Part of me wants to say, pay more attention to what you're doing. Don't take it personally, when you play football your team mates have a go at you, it's the same thing. You're good enough for the job otherwise you categorically would not be there given how competitive the employment market is. If you're passionate about something then you understand bthe underlying process and recognise mistakes before making them.

It sounds to me though, that you're doing something operational which requires you to complete variations of the same mundane tasks and you're not motivated. Younmight be better suited for research/project based work where you can't make 'mistakes' - the thought process matters more than the final output. Most people have to do operational work before research.

I think a person who is physically sick every morning because they’re worried about making a mistake is definitely motivated enough to want to do the right thing.
It’s Anon’s first week. Think we can cut him/her some slack on any mistakes that are being made. They’re just teething problems.
Reply 4
Thank you both for your advice.

I do really want to do well in this role, but there is just so much I don't understand and it is making me feel like an incompetent idiot. I have messaged my line manager with questions but she replied a few times saying she'd already explain whatever it is to me, so know I am anxious to ask more questions.

I work in external affairs so I am expected to be up to date on all company policy but this is an industry I have no experience in and I just don't understand so much of it :frown:

I also feel somewhat depressed being stuck in my room, not seeing anyone and never getting any day light because it is dark when I start and dark when I finish.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Any advice?

Stop being a snowflake?
Original post by Iamyou1.
I think a person who is physically sick every morning because they’re worried about making a mistake is definitely motivated enough to want to do the right thing.
It’s Anon’s first week. Think we can cut him/her some slack on any mistakes that are being made. They’re just teething problems.

I opened my message expressing sympathy.

However, I've been in the same situation, and I think taking criticism on the chin is really helpful in overcoming challenges at work. I provided a balanced response so the OP can understand that their circumstances are not unique and there can be multiple different solutions.

My advice is work harder + ask for help + reconsider you role. If ''work harder" is not applicable, that's fair enough - just that in hindsight, I realise that I was not motivated.
I've been working from home too but luckily I spent the first 4 months in the office. I completely understand the dark in the morning and dark after working and my room also has very limited daylight. And now that we are going in to the winter when it is always dark it's definitely a toll on mental health; given that we spent all summer in lockdown and no visits abroad or even to the beach.

I'd say definitely get in touch with your team and let them know your struggling and need more support. Perhaps change your targets/expectations so that remote working can be taken into account.

Keep us posted with updates! Many of us are going through the same thing right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending