Need help International Relations : St Andrews or International Studies at Leiden uni

Watch
Saswot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,

My name is Saswot. I am from Nepal.

I applied to 5 UK universités for International relations. Similarly, I applied to university of Leiden for International Realtion and International Organization and International Studies ,and University of Groningen for International Relations and Organisation for undergraduate degree.

I recently got conditional offer from University of York, Cardiff and University of St Andrews in the UK. Similarly, I also got conditional offer from Leiden University in the Netherlands.

I am really intrigued by International studies course in Leiden University. I would probably choose IS than IRO.

I went through their online open days and it's making me more confused to take a precise decision chosing the university that I want to go. St Andrews is extremely beautiful and the course that I am applying is also demanded and compitative but it's expensive. Same goes for York.

I applied to
St Andrews - Conditional
York- Conditional
Manchester
Cardiff - Conditional
RHUL

Leiden - Conditional offer
Gröningen
notebook1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello!

I studied History at St Andrews and took International Relations in my first two years - I would definitely recommend the university and town. St Andrews is good because you have the option to take modules in other courses during your first two years - so you could also study History, Social Anthropology, Geography etc if you wanted to. IR is also one of the most competitive courses and the university is relatively well known for being good in this area (so congrats for getting a place). My only point to consider is that the town is quite small (especially spending four years there) - but it's up to you whether that makes a difference/ if you are a city person or not. Personally, I didn't find it an issue especially as Dundee and Edinburgh are quite close.

I did apply to Leiden for my Master's as it's also a great university and supposed to be a really lovely city. I know some departments at St A partner with Leiden so you could potentially do a year abroad in your third year.

So I think basically either choice would be a great one - just depends on your priorities and what's most important to you.

Hope that helps in some way! Happy to answer any questions about St A.
Saswot
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hey, thanks. Glad that you replied.
I think I'll probably chose Leiden univeristy for my undergraduate degree and go to UK for my masters. I was thinking to apply to Oxford for masters, but it's still a long way to go about.

once again, thanks alot !
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello Saswot,
If you don't mind me asking, what predicted grades did you apply with and when did you apply?
Saswot
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
hey, my subjects were Sociology, Psychology, and Economics.
I had 2As and an A* as my predicted grades.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Saswot)
hey, my subjects were Sociology, Psychology, and Economics.
I had 2As and an A* as my predicted grades.
Apologies, but around when did you submit your application?
Saswot
Rep:
?
I applied this September, for 2021 entry.
Saswot
Rep:
?
last * September
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
last * September
Hello!
So how long did they take to get back to you :/ If you applied in Sept, when did you receive an offer?
Sorry for asking so many questions, it's just that I have applied for a similar course and I haven't heard anything yet.
Saswot
Rep:
?
hey! it's not a problem at all. You can ask many questions as you want. I just checked my previous email for this reply. They sent me an email in 16th Sep that they have received my application. Similarly, in 27 th oct i got my offer. Right before the undergraduate open day. As far as I know, if you are from the UK, your offer are likely to be given little late than of internationals.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
hey! it's not a problem at all. You can ask many questions as you want. I just checked my previous email for this reply. They sent me an email in 16th Sep that they have received my application. Similarly, in 27 th oct i got my offer. Right before the undergraduate open day. As far as I know, if you are from the UK, your offer are likely to be given little late than of internationals.
Thank you so much! Wish you the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads