username5451430
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so i am failing so i will not get in to Russel group uni so it is worth me redoing the A levels to get good enough grades to get in to Russel group
or just go to a **** uni and get the degree and it does not matter ?
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
*Russell...
username5451430
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
*Russell...
i know what i mean
burntoutsmartkid
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its 'univerisities', not 'university's' (plural not possessive)
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is a great deal of total nonsense talked about the 'Russell Group'.
Its nothing more than a marketing term to make out they are somehow 'special'. They aren't.

Your life is not 'over' if you go to another University - mainstream employers dont actually care about 'which Uni'. All they are interested in is that you have a First or 2i, you did more at Uni than just study and you have some relevant work-experience.

Many of the 'other' Universities have better graduate employment rates than the so called 'top' Unis - so they must be doing something right. They often also have more interesting degrees - especially joint subject degrees. Look at Unis like Oxford Brookes, Reading, Nottingham Trent, Plymouth, Sussex, Kent, Leicester etc. All have a good reputation and you'll still get a great 'student experience'.
username5451430
Rep:
?
(Original post by burntoutsmartkid)
Its 'univerisities', not 'university's' (plural not possessive)
universities**
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ɪnˈtɛrəˌgeɪtɝ)
so i am failing so i will not get in to Russel group uni so it is worth me redoing the A levels to get good enough grades to get in to Russel group
or just go to a **** uni and get the degree and it does not matter ?
You seem to be conflating a Russell Group university as worth attending & other unis as not worth attending.

The Russell Group lobbies for research funding and is not a list that in any way reflects undergraduate teaching or exit opportunities.

Yes typically RG unis are more prestigous but its a case of correlation, not causation and their are plenty of unis outside the RG which means using them as the measuring stick is not worth it.

You need to ask yourself what do you want from university, what exit opportunities do you want, what universities/courses provide this. Then look at entry requirements, if you meet them happy days, if not you can re-evaluate your options and what is best.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As someone who works at a RG uni, it is frustrating to see so many people fixated on attending one. Everyone's requirements are different and we're certainly not the best destination for every applicant.

Honestly, the majority of employers aren't even going to know who is even in the RG.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
As someone who works at a RG uni, it is frustrating to see so many people fixated on attending one. Everyone's requirements are different and we're certainly not the best destination for every applicant.

Honestly, the majority of employers aren't even going to know who is even in the RG.
PRSOM
I share your frustration.
(Its about finding the uni that offers you the opportunities you want not some notional list that is irrelevant to a bachelors degrees, although I do understand why students hone in on it as back in the day my head of 6-form did a long speech about university to my cohort telling us the Russell Group unis are the most prestigious... *sigh*).
username5451430
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
PRSOM
I share your frustration.
(Its about finding the uni that offers you the opportunities you want not some notional list that is irrelevant to a bachelors degrees, although I do understand why students hone in on it as back in the day my head of 6-form did a long speech about university to my cohort telling us the Russell Group unis are the most prestigious... *sigh*).
so go to a university with TEF GOLD and the RS group is just for bragging rights ?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so go to a university with TEF GOLD and the RS group is just for bragging rights ?
TEF rating certainly might want to one thing of many you consider, but bear in mind that just like league tables, once unis know how to game the system and tick the required boxes, they'll boost themselves regardless of whether the undergrad experience is actually better. As above, RG is just a self selected group of research unis, it doesn't directly affect the UG experience or outcomes at all.

This article is a good start for some of the things that you might want to consider: TSR - How to choose the right university
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TEF gold is one thing to consider, but id say take a wholistic approach

Go to a uni that meets your needs, you need to pick what you want & the opportunities you want uni to provide you. This may or may not be a Russell Group, but going because it is a Russell Group isnt the right reason to attend.

The Russell Group does serve a purpose, its just this purpose if research funding NOT teaching/careers prospects/opportunities/SU....

The RG is often used by school teachers/parents etc. as some sort of list of definitive target list when it shouldn't be.

Also you dont get bragging rights for going to a Russell Group, not in the real world.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
Swansea University Enquiries
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there :hello:

As many of my fellow student roomers have mentioned, attending a Russell Group shouldn't be an all or nothing criteria for University! Here are some things I considered when looking at Uni (back in the day!) and I always recommend students look at:

1. The course - you'll spend 3+ years doing this course, look at the compulsory modules, optional modules, teaching and assessment methods. Does it interest you? and suit your style of learning?
2. Location - where can you see yourself? a city uni or somewhere more rural? how about a campus based uni? under normal circumstances I would advise an Open Day but at the moment your best option is a Virtual Open Day/campus tour!
3. Employability - this is more important for some people/subjects than it is for others, what are the employment rates of the course/uni you're looking at after graduation?
4. Cost - some areas of the UK and Universities will inevitably have a higher cost of living than other areas - this doesn't affect everyone but I do always advise having a look!
5. Student satisfaction - what do the current students have to say about the course? for example we have an Ambassador chat service you can use to chat with current students

I hope this helps! best of luck with your decision and applications

- Mia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.08%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.12%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (73)
19.16%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.24%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.4%

Watched Threads