ssokka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hey,
so I'm someone who doesn't really mind exams its just the amount of revision and content for me. but whilst aiming for grade 7s in everything, i think i would just be me being lazy to not choose a levels and to go for more course work based btecs.
so my question is for anyone who does psychology a level, what are your personal ops on it? does it require a lot of revision? do you recommend to only choose it if you have a personal interest in the subject? what are some of the main things you learn? i heard that it involves math, is it just basic maths or similar to gcse math? And would you overall recommend it?
chibibotto
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi ssoka ,

I'm in year 13 and I absolutely love psychology. I'm likely applying to study the subject at uni next year! In terms of the content, there is a lot of information but it generally depends on the exam board. For instance, I study AQA psychology which my school switched to last year because the exam technique is a little nicer than Edexcel, which is what my school offered before. However, my teacher said that there is a lot more content required for AQA, so it's a bit of a trade off really.
I think that psychology is a relatively content-heavy subject generally, but the content isn't difficult to understand. Once you understand it, it's more of a case of remembering it if you get what I mean.
It's a great subject, very interesting, and I think you don't need to want to pursue psychology later in life to study it at a level - so go for it!
We learn about why people behave the way they do, and you might even learn something about yourself or people around you along the way haha! That's one of the things I love about it, that I can see what I learn in the classroom around me in real life. Some topics are memory, attachment, psychopathology, schizophrenia etc.
Yes, there is a cheeky bit of maths but it's not difficult, it's quite basic. There is also some biology in psychology a level too.

I think the best thing you can do right now is to find out which exam board your school teaches and which other subjects you will be picking too. Also, it's great you're researching your options early on - well done!

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask or PM me if you wish to. Good luck!
ashtolga23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I'm in Year 13 and I do AQA psychology. I adore it, but I admit it has a bit of a reputation for being generally easy. I wouldn't say there's a lot of content at all, especially in comparison to my other subjects (RS and English literature); there are quite a few topics but most of them are fairly basic to understand, and as the user above said it's more about remembering it. Plus you have to remember if you're doing AQA that it's all split into 3 papers, so you'll never have to do a paper with every single topic in mind (the only one that appears in all of them is research methods, then the rest have dedicated papers).

Not to plug my teacher too hard but he helped in writing a revision guide that really condenses the information. I've literally been able to revise for a topic test in a day because of it and still get 24/24 (each section on the paper is worth 24 marks except research methods, which is 48). We got them for free because of his involvement but I'd definitely say it's worth the price, especially if you buy it used on Amazon or something.

For me, it doesn't require much revision at all, however I do have a big interest in most of it. Topics like research methods and biopsychology, which we're near the end of now, don't really appeal to me, and so I imagine I'll have to revise them a lot more when it comes to it. I'd recommend that you do have an interest in all the A-Levels you take, and personally I don't see how psychology could bore anyone (although that may just be me, and I have to appreciate that my teacher makes lessons very engaging).

As for the maths, it really isn't a lot. It's mainly statistics and in my view it's pretty basic stuff. You don't need to know much at all.

I would recommend it for anyone who has an interest in it. If you think you'll get bored with it, then it's likely not for you. You really must enjoy your subjects I think, or they'll drive you mad. I love RS but even that can get a little tasking for me, so I can't imagine taking something I hate.
ssokka
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chibibotto)
Hi ssoka ,

I'm in year 13 and I absolutely love psychology. I'm likely applying to study the subject at uni next year! In terms of the content, there is a lot of information but it generally depends on the exam board. For instance, I study AQA psychology which my school switched to last year because the exam technique is a little nicer than Edexcel, which is what my school offered before. However, my teacher said that there is a lot more content required for AQA, so it's a bit of a trade off really.
I think that psychology is a relatively content-heavy subject generally, but the content isn't difficult to understand. Once you understand it, it's more of a case of remembering it if you get what I mean.
It's a great subject, very interesting, and I think you don't need to want to pursue psychology later in life to study it at a level - so go for it!
We learn about why people behave the way they do, and you might even learn something about yourself or people around you along the way haha! That's one of the things I love about it, that I can see what I learn in the classroom around me in real life. Some topics are memory, attachment, psychopathology, schizophrenia etc.
Yes, there is a cheeky bit of maths but it's not difficult, it's quite basic. There is also some biology in psychology a level too.

I think the best thing you can do right now is to find out which exam board your school teaches and which other subjects you will be picking too. Also, it's great you're researching your options early on - well done!

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask or PM me if you wish to. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your response! It has given me a really good idea of the subject overall!! Also what you said about seeing what you learn around you in real life is so cool!! Thank you!! This has helped me more than you know!!
ssokka
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)
Hey, I'm in Year 13 and I do AQA psychology. I adore it, but I admit it has a bit of a reputation for being generally easy. I wouldn't say there's a lot of content at all, especially in comparison to my other subjects (RS and English literature); there are quite a few topics but most of them are fairly basic to understand, and as the user above said it's more about remembering it. Plus you have to remember if you're doing AQA that it's all split into 3 papers, so you'll never have to do a paper with every single topic in mind (the only one that appears in all of them is research methods, then the rest have dedicated papers).

Not to plug my teacher too hard but he helped in writing a revision guide that really condenses the information. I've literally been able to revise for a topic test in a day because of it and still get 24/24 (each section on the paper is worth 24 marks except research methods, which is 48). We got them for free because of his involvement but I'd definitely say it's worth the price, especially if you buy it used on Amazon or something.

For me, it doesn't require much revision at all, however I do have a big interest in most of it. Topics like research methods and biopsychology, which we're near the end of now, don't really appeal to me, and so I imagine I'll have to revise them a lot more when it comes to it. I'd recommend that you do have an interest in all the A-Levels you take, and personally I don't see how psychology could bore anyone (although that may just be me, and I have to appreciate that my teacher makes lessons very engaging).

As for the maths, it really isn't a lot. It's mainly statistics and in my view it's pretty basic stuff. You don't need to know much at all.

I would recommend it for anyone who has an interest in it. If you think you'll get bored with it, then it's likely not for you. You really must enjoy your subjects I think, or they'll drive you mad. I love RS but even that can get a little tasking for me, so I can't imagine taking something I hate.
Thank you so much for your response!! They lay out of the exams seems like something I could definitely manage! Thank you for this, you've made me realise that just because it involves exams doesn't mean it's not doable! Wish you the best with any upcoming exams you might have!!
ashtolga23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ssokka)
Thank you so much for your response!! They lay out of the exams seems like something I could definitely manage! Thank you for this, you've made me realise that just because it involves exams doesn't mean it's not doable! Wish you the best with any upcoming exams you might have!!
It’s no problem! I’m glad I could help.

Thank you so much! Same for you.
chibibotto
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ssokka)
Thank you so much for your response! It has given me a really good idea of the subject overall!! Also what you said about seeing what you learn around you in real life is so cool!! Thank you!! This has helped me more than you know!!
No worries at all! I think psychology is such a great subject and I hope you enjoy too!

I'm so happy to have helped and if you have any more questions you know where to find me, I'd be more than happy to help : )
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
heya, i'm currently in my first year of a psychology degree and i did the subject at a-level. i loved it and found it really interesting but i am probably a bit biased as i'm doing it at uni :rofl:
definitely my easiest a level subject- i found the content straightforward, there's just a lot to learn and practice but you get the hang of exam technique if you commit to regular revision :yep:
the topics i learnt included psychopathology, relationships, attachments, forensic psychology, social influence, biopsychology etc so there's a good range of topics that you can cover especially in year 2. any questions feel free to ask
ssokka
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
heya, i'm currently in my first year of a psychology degree and i did the subject at a-level. i loved it and found it really interesting but i am probably a bit biased as i'm doing it at uni :rofl:
definitely my easiest a level subject- i found the content straightforward, there's just a lot to learn and practice but you get the hang of exam technique if you commit to regular revision :yep:
the topics i learnt included psychopathology, relationships, attachments, forensic psychology, social influence, biopsychology etc so there's a good range of topics that you can cover especially in year 2. any questions feel free to ask
Those all sound like topics that really interest me! Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads