Can you go against your dissertation supervisors advice/opinion?

Watch
shireen1212
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So long story short is last year we proposed our dissertation ideas. I got a first and my supervisor was impressed and liked the idea (it included e.coli bacteria). He left so now I was allocated a supervisor who teaches something completely different. I could tell she wasnt interestd from the begining. She told me I cant do it as its not safe. Told her it is and lab person agreed. She backtracked and said its not interesting. She has reccomended me to do something very complicated. The stress is too much and I cant handle it. I want to make my life easier than harder. She didnt even listen to my full idea and puts her own stuff into it which makes no sense. Shes all over the place. Can I go against her and just do my original idea?
Allyson2020
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shireen1212)
So long story short is last year we proposed our dissertation ideas. I got a first and my supervisor was impressed and liked the idea (it included e.coli bacteria). He left so now I was allocated a supervisor who teaches something completely different. I could tell she wasnt interestd from the begining. She told me I cant do it as its not safe. Told her it is and lab person agreed. She backtracked and said its not interesting. She has reccomended me to do something very complicated. The stress is too much and I cant handle it. I want to make my life easier than harder. She didnt even listen to my full idea and puts her own stuff into it which makes no sense. Shes all over the place. Can I go against her and just do my original idea?
Hi Shireen

You can listen to what she says to you on things but its totally upto yourself what you write about in your dissertation okay as everybody has there own opinions on idea's.
Its difficult for you when you get a different person disagreeing with you but providing what you writing about is completely within your studying potifol then you should go ahead and write about this what you already thinking about .
You could if you have the time was to write your original idea first and as a backup perhaps write about what your teacher / supervisor has suggested but you need to concertrate on the main one you will submit to her OK.
shireen1212
Rep:
?
(Original post by Allyson2020)
Hi Shireen

You can listen to what she says to you on things but its totally upto yourself what you write about in your dissertation okay as everybody has there own opinions on idea's.
Its difficult for you when you get a different person disagreeing with you but providing what you writing about is completely within your studying potifol then you should go ahead and write about this what you already thinking about .
You could if you have the time was to write your original idea first and as a backup perhaps write about what your teacher / supervisor has suggested but you need to concertrate on the main one you will submit to her OK.
Thank you so much I really needed this
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its completely up to you what you want to do for your dissertation, your supervisor should be there to advise or offer their opinion and not take control. Are you able to swap to a different supervisor? It might be worth giving her a chance, although its not worth an increase in workload until you cannot cope.

Sophie - Official Student Rep
shireen1212
Rep:
?
Hi thanks for replying. I gave her a chance before but she caused so much anxiety for me and I cant handle the stress. I have a meeting coming up regarding changing supervisors
Allyson2020
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much I really needed this
You welcome ok 😃
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.3%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.44%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (83)
19.58%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.25%

Watched Threads