cherry7girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A student dissolved some of the dicarboxylic acid from Q10.1 in water and made up the solution to 250cm3 in a volumetric flask.
In a titration, a 25.0 cm3 sample of the acid solution needed 21.60 cm3 of 0.109 mol dm-3 sodium hydroxide solution for neutralisation.

Calculate the mass in g of the dicarboxylic acid used.

Q10.1 answer: the molecular forumla is C4H6O4
and relative molecular mass is 118

i thought that since it's a dicarboxylic acid, the ratio would be 1:2 NaOH to the acid, but it isn't correct?
golgiapparatus31
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by onedance1)
A student dissolved some of the dicarboxylic acid from Q10.1 in water and made up the solution to 250cm3 in a volumetric flask.
In a titration, a 25.0 cm3 sample of the acid solution needed 21.60 cm3 of 0.109 mol dm-3 sodium hydroxide solution for neutralisation.

i thought that since it's a dicarboxylic acid, the ratio would be 1:2 NaOH to the acid, but it isn't correct?
Edit: Sorry, I misread your ratio. The dicarboxylic acid contains 2 acidic protons so needs 2 NaOH for 1 acid

(Original post by ColtTheWolf)
Remember that carboxylic acids do not fully dissociate, so you cannot assume that all the H+ ions in solution have evolved from the acid

Edit: This is only in response to the ratio of H+ to OH-
No, the equilibrium will shift continuously until all the acid has dissociated
Last edited by golgiapparatus31; 4 weeks ago
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by onedance1)

other way round
NaOH to acid = 2:1
ColtTheWolf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by golgiapparatus31)
Edit: Sorry, I misread your ratio. The dicarboxylic acid contains 2 protons so needs 2 NaOH for 1 acid

No, the equilibrium will shift continuously until all the acid has dissociated
Yeah, my bad I totally misread what was going on in that question. Removed comment for clarity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (687)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (863)
42.51%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (389)
19.16%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.48%

Watched Threads