Mustafa2021
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey I am learning french.
And it’s so difficult. I can read. I can write and I can speak my grammar is on point. My vocabulary is not the best but I’m constantly adding to it. But no matter how hard I work I always find that when I listen to a native french speaker I can never understand them. It’s too hard for me and it makes me really sad. I just want to learn the language and speak to people so badly but it is practically impossible. So I got some advice from people who told me to listen to music and watch french series and immerse myself and for 2 months that is what i have done. And I feel improvements in everything but listening.
So please if you have any words of help let me know
Thank you.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Listen to Swiss Radio

I improved my basic French enormously by living in Geneva, and magically I found that the genevois & surroundings apparently speak perfect but s l o w F r e n c h

https://www.internetradio-schweiz.ch/ ( ok , menu in German! )

My favourites were Couleur Trois (modern music) and RTS La Premiere (talk & music)
https://www.internetradio-schweiz.ch/couleur-3
https://www.internetradio-schweiz.ch/rts-la-1ere

Watch French films on Netflix etc with French subtitles?, but you can listen to RTS nice & slow radio mostly

Allons-y!
Mustafa2021
Rep:
?
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Listen to Swiss Radio

I improved my basic French enormously by living in Geneva, and magically I found that the genevois & surroundings apparently speak perfect but s l o w F r e n c h

https://www.internetradio-schweiz.ch/ ( ok , menu in German! )

My favourites were Couleur Trois (modern music) and RTS La Premiere (talk & music)
https://www.internetradio-schweiz.ch/couleur-3
https://www.internetradio-schweiz.ch/rts-la-1ere

Watch French films on Netflix etc with French subtitles?, but you can listen to RTS nice & slow radio mostly

Allons-y!
Hello. Thanks for your reply. Did this particularly aid your understanding when you are listening to people speak. I am really determined to get fluent in french but the world seems to be aspiring against me. I will make sure to check out what you have listed and hope that my listening improves. Thanks
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, it takes a while for your brain to synchronise & tune-in, in Paris - I had problems
With Swiss French, just slightly slower, it became much easier

The only differences Swiss use “nonante” Paris uses “quatre-vingt-dix” for 90
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I hope this isn't cliche but keep practicing and do not give up! A LOT of language students experience this. My teacher was telling us how she was in her third year of university studying French and went on her study abroad and the second she got there, she could not understand a single word of what people said to her. But after a few weeks, it gradually started to come to her and by the end of the year, she had no trouble understanding.
The same will happen to you, it's inevitable! So keep practicing your listening skills by immersing yourself completely.
Also you could try and watch an episode of a French show with English subtitles and then rewatch it without them.
Mustafa2021
Rep:
?
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Yes, it takes a while for your brain to synchronise & tune-in, in Paris - I had problems
With Swiss French, just slightly slower, it became much easier

The only differences Swiss use “nonante” Paris uses “quatre-vingt-dix” for 90
Sorry to bother you again. But I have just started to listen it however I find it a bit difficult to understand. Did you have similar problems when you started and they got easier to understand? Also what did you do if there were things in there you did not understand. Thanks and sorry again 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️
Mustafa2021
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloenix)
I hope this isn't cliche but keep practicing and do not give up! A LOT of language students experience this. My teacher was telling us how she was in her third year of university studying French and went on her study abroad and the second she got there, she could not understand a single word of what people said to her. But after a few weeks, it gradually started to come to her and by the end of the year, she had no trouble understanding.
The same will happen to you, it's inevitable! So keep practicing your listening skills by immersing yourself completely.
Also you could try and watch an episode of a French show with English subtitles and then rewatch it without them.
Thanks for your words. Unfortunately it is quite difficult. But I will definitely start watching more french shows.
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mustafa2021)
Thanks for your words. Unfortunately it is quite difficult. But I will definitely start watching more french shows.
Oh yeah, I completely get you.
I'm natively French but I tried to learn Spanish for the longest time. I was so cocky and thought I was doing amazing until I decided to step foot in Barcelona and boom...disappointment.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In my experience there are regional variations just as there is in England. I find those from the Cote d'Azur easier to understand than those from Marseille for example. And Arsene Wenger speaking French I have no chance of understanding. Films and tv programmes may help you.
Mustafa2021
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
In my experience there are regional variations just as there is in England. I find those from the Cote d'Azur easier to understand than those from Marseille for example. And Arsene Wenger speaking French I have no chance of understanding. Films and tv programmes may help you.
Yes. There are some differences. I find it difficult to watch things in french but if I have french subtitles then it is extremely easy. But I want to improve my listening so I have to forget about subtitles. And then it becomes a bit of a headache. But it is what it is maybe one day?
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can only recommend that you listen to podcasts made for native speakers, and maybe audiobooks too. Don't stress about understanding everything, just try to pick out words that you know here and ther. When I was doing my GCSE French I used to listen to Les Grosses Tetes every week whilst I was walking into the city centre, and I didn't understand anything for ages, but after a while it clicked and started to get much easier. It's about learning to separate the words and becoming relexed when you're listening more than anything else, so practice is the best thing you can do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads