pjspooky
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm doing an epq. I have my topic and a couple of potential titles picked out, but I have no clue how to go about actually doing the epq. I know that it's a 5000 word essay but that's it. we only have one supervisor at my school and we dont have scheduled meetings or anything. hes pretty much useless judging from the way the year 13s are begging him for advice so that they can actually finish it and get a good grade. I dont have a deadline.

my main concerns are:
how specific do I need to be?
how the hell do I source this thing?
who do I hand it in to? is it the supervisor or what?
is it literally just the essay? that seems way too small for the whole epq

any advice would be very gratefully received
MattW02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would break down your 5000 word essay into 3-5 mini essays that are subtitles for your bigger essay. Not only does this make it easier to write as it is less overwhelming but it also makes it have a much more logical structure. For example, I did mine on free speech law in the US and the UK. I did my first section on how free speech law relates to defamation in both countries in relation to free speech then the second on terrorism and hate speech in both countries and how that relates to free speech law.

In terms of how specific you need to be, there is no hard and fast rule. I would recommend doing enough research that you have a decent grasp on the subject and feel confident in writing the essay. I did most of my research as I went along, however, I would recommend doing a decent amount beforehand so you actually know what you’re talking about.

for sourcing, use Harvard referencing. There are websites that explain how to do this/ do it for you. Keep a table of all the websites/ articles/ books you read and use the footnote function on word/ pages to put your reference as you use the information that you read in that source. Sorry i can’t say more on this but its just a task of looking online at how to do it. It is a fairly standard thing to do for academic essays at university so there is a lot of help online.

Once you have written it you should hand it to the supervisor who should give you some spoken feedback on it. Try to keep to deadlines you set yourself as you get more points for this. I am assuming you know about the production log? If not reply to this and explain but you should keep this up to date and try to meet with your supervisor as much as possible to fill it in. There are examples of it online on the exam board websites.

On the exam board I did (AQA) the essay was only 50%. The other 50% was planning and the production log. Essentially, you get bonus points for showing that you are keeping to deadlines and adapting your work as you face problems. E.g. you get extra marks for changing your title if you decide that there isn’t enough to write a 5000 word essay on your first one. I would recommend doing this regardless as it is an easy way to get marks. In general, try to keep as many plans etc as possible as this will give you more marks at the end if you put it in the appendix of your essay. Your supervisor should mark your essay and then it is moderated.

Sorry I feel that there is so much to say and I havent really scratched the surface here but feel free to reply with more questions
pjspooky
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MattW02)
I would break down your 5000 word essay into 3-5 mini essays that are subtitles for your bigger essay. Not only does this make it easier to write as it is less overwhelming but it also makes it have a much more logical structure. For example, I did mine on free speech law in the US and the UK. I did my first section on how free speech law relates to defamation in both countries in relation to free speech then the second on terrorism and hate speech in both countries and how that relates to free speech law.

In terms of how specific you need to be, there is no hard and fast rule. I would recommend doing enough research that you have a decent grasp on the subject and feel confident in writing the essay. I did most of my research as I went along, however, I would recommend doing a decent amount beforehand so you actually know what you’re talking about.

for sourcing, use Harvard referencing. There are websites that explain how to do this/ do it for you. Keep a table of all the websites/ articles/ books you read and use the footnote function on word/ pages to put your reference as you use the information that you read in that source. Sorry i can’t say more on this but its just a task of looking online at how to do it. It is a fairly standard thing to do for academic essays at university so there is a lot of help online.

Once you have written it you should hand it to the supervisor who should give you some spoken feedback on it. Try to keep to deadlines you set yourself as you get more points for this. I am assuming you know about the production log? If not reply to this and explain but you should keep this up to date and try to meet with your supervisor as much as possible to fill it in. There are examples of it online on the exam board websites.

On the exam board I did (AQA) the essay was only 50%. The other 50% was planning and the production log. Essentially, you get bonus points for showing that you are keeping to deadlines and adapting your work as you face problems. E.g. you get extra marks for changing your title if you decide that there isn’t enough to write a 5000 word essay on your first one. I would recommend doing this regardless as it is an easy way to get marks. In general, try to keep as many plans etc as possible as this will give you more marks at the end if you put it in the appendix of your essay. Your supervisor should mark your essay and then it is moderated.

Sorry I feel that there is so much to say and I havent really scratched the surface here but feel free to reply with more questions
wow, thank you! breaking it down makes a lot of sense, and i think i should be able to get a grip on the harvard referencing. ill take a closer look at the production log, i didnt realise what a big deal it was
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads