many to one or one to many maths problem

Watch
pondering-soul
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Could someone please clarify if the mark scheme is wrong and it is many to one AND one to many... or just one to many?Image

ImageImage

thanks for any help I appreciate it
Smallwatch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The mark scheme is correct, an ellipse can never be many-to-one.

Many-to-one means that two x values are put in the function, and both will give the same result.
e.g

f(x)=x^{2}+3x+2

If you did f(-2) and f(-1) they would both give 0, the same y value, and only this value.

Your example does not work in the same way, because each x value corresponds to two y values, which means it must be one-to-many.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 4 weeks ago
Interestingly, the "Cambridge International AS and A level mathematics" (2012 ISBN 978 1444 14644 8) describes a circle, which is very similar object to the one in this question, as many-many. And that is how I would describe it.

However, looking at at least one of the current syllabii - and this question - they only mention, one-one, one-many, and many-one. What's happened to "many-many"?

Is there something in how they've been defined that says if it's one-many then it can't be many-one as well. :iiam:

Any teachers/educators in the know?
Last edited by ghostwalker; 4 weeks ago
pondering-soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Interestingly, the "Cambridge International AS and A level mathematics" (2012 ISBN 978 1444 14644 8) describes a circle, which is very similar object to the one in this question, as many-many. And that is how I would describe it.

However, looking at at least one of the current syllabii - and this question - they only mention, one-one, one-many, and many-one. What's happened to "many-many"?

Is there something in how they've been defined that says if it's one-many then it can't be many-one as well. :iiam:

Any teachers/educators in the know?
That was my initial thought aswell... perhaps it's because the definition of many-to-one might be where two or more x values correspond to only one y value. However, from the circle or elipses... we can't ever get a scenario where 2 x values = ONLY 1 y value because for every point of x within the range of the equation, there are always 2 y values... so its not 2 x = 1 y value, its more like, 2 x value = 2 y value... ?
pondering-soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smallwatch)
The mark scheme is correct, an ellipse can never be many-to-one.

Many-to-one means that two x values are put in the function, and both will give the same result.
e.g

f(x)=x^{2}+3x+2

If you did f(-2) and f(-1) they would both give 0, the same y value, and only this value.

Your example does not work in the same way, because each x value corresponds to two y values, which means it must be one-to-many.
So for a function to be many to one it must be 2 x = 1 y value, but since EVERY x value is always equal to 2 y values, there is never a scenario for 2 x = 1 y value and so it can never be many to one?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pondering-soul)
That was my initial thought aswell... perhaps it's because the definition of many-to-one might be where two or more x values correspond to only one y value. However, from the circle or elipses... we can't ever get a scenario where 2 x values = ONLY 1 y value because for every point of x within the range of the equation, there are always 2 y values... so its not 2 x = 1 y value, its more like, 2 x value = 2 y value... ?
For it to be many-one, we only require one y-value to have more than one corresponding x-value. In a Similar fashion for one-many.

The extremes of the ellipse along the x-axis are an example of where we have two x-values and only 1 y-value.
pondering-soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
For it to be many-one, we only require one y-value to have more than one corresponding x-value. In a Similar fashion for one-many.

The extremes of the ellipse along the x-axis are an example of where we have two x-values and only 1 y-value.
oh wow I never thought of that... perhaps it's just a matter of my textbook only having those 3 limited definitions and no 'many-to-many' definition. I'll just ask my teacher if it's a problem with the specific curriculum, thanks for the help man
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads