The Student Room Group

how far did you/are you moving away for uni

all the unis im applying to are like 5-7 hours travelling time just because those are the unis that do the course I like

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
140 miles ish
Original post by wevegota2319
all the unis im applying to are like 5-7 hours travelling time just because those are the unis that do the course I like

Hi @wevegota2319,

When I moved for university, it was about 90 miles away from my family home. Our of my friend group, a few stayed local to our home city, some went further afield (between 50-150 miles away) and one friend went to university in Scotland (a 7 hour drive away). As long as you think you'd be comfortable with the distance then don't let that put you off!

Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi @wevegota2319,

When I moved for university, it was about 90 miles away from my family home. Our of my friend group, a few stayed local to our home city, some went further afield (between 50-150 miles away) and one friend went to university in Scotland (a 7 hour drive away). As long as you think you'd be comfortable with the distance then don't let that put you off!

Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep

Thankyou! Im just a bit nervous because none of my friends are moving that far away!!
Reply 4

All the uni’s my dd looking at are 4-7 hours drive away too. Think you have to forget the distance and go with the uni and course you like the best
2 train journeys - around 4.5 hours in total
my main uni is about 3 1/2 hrs away. while my back up, Edinburgh, is nearly an 8hr drive from where I live ( South Wales )
Original post by Amp242
All the uni’s my dd looking at are 4-7 hours drive away too. Think you have to forget the distance and go with the uni and course you like the best

I'd agree I'm really happy with my options and I didn't want to live closer and be in a worse course/one that wouldn't suit me! How often do you think you will go and see your dd? :smile:
Original post by armanbit58
my main uni is about 3 1/2 hrs away. while my back up, Edinburgh, is nearly an 8hr drive from where I live ( South Wales )

Edinburgh is so beautiful!
Original post by black tea
2 train journeys - around 4.5 hours in total

Are you happy that you moved a bit further away? I think it will be good for me to become a bit more independent!
Reply 10
About 11 miles away, which was pretty convenient in the end
Are you happy that you moved a bit further away? I think it will be good for me to become a bit more independent!

yes, very happy
Reply 12
I'd agree I'm really happy with my options and I didn't want to live closer and be in a worse course/one that wouldn't suit me! How often do you think you will go and see your dd? :smile:

Really not sure! She probably won’t want me to visit too often 😂

Hi @wevegota2319,

I moved about 150miles away which is about 3 1/2 - 4 hours travelling. As long as you like your course and the city you're studying in it should be great! If you can, I'd see if you can visit the cities you're hoping to study in (covid permitting of course)! For me it didn't matter how far away it was, if I liked the city then I was set on it! If you can't visit them, definitely research some of the travel options- in some cases a UK flight can be cheaper and quicker than getting the train!

During second year I managed to visit home at least once a month so distance can be doable! If you're worried about leaving friends at home then just make sure to keep up regular messaging and Facetimes and arrange to see them when you come home if you can. Remember that you'll meet new people when you go to university as well, so you won't be on your own:smile:

What sort of courses are you looking at studying?

Lucy
If I get into the university that I want to go to in the UK, it'll be around 11,231km ;p
Original post by confuzzledteen
If I get into the university that I want to go to in the UK, it'll be around 11,231km ;p

wow that's cool! where are you coming from? :smile:
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @wevegota2319,

I moved about 150miles away which is about 3 1/2 - 4 hours travelling. As long as you like your course and the city you're studying in it should be great! If you can, I'd see if you can visit the cities you're hoping to study in (covid permitting of course)! For me it didn't matter how far away it was, if I liked the city then I was set on it! If you can't visit them, definitely research some of the travel options- in some cases a UK flight can be cheaper and quicker than getting the train!

During second year I managed to visit home at least once a month so distance can be doable! If you're worried about leaving friends at home then just make sure to keep up regular messaging and Facetimes and arrange to see them when you come home if you can. Remember that you'll meet new people when you go to university as well, so you won't be on your own:smile:

What sort of courses are you looking at studying?

Lucy

thanks! you are so right and I think it will be a great thing for me to completely push myself out of my comfort zone too!!
ive applied for medicine!! :smile:
Being in London and a mature student I did not move at all.
Undergraduate uni: 100 miles
Postgraduate uni: 275 miles
Reply 19
2 miles :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending