The Student Room Group

joint degree statement help

i am interested in studying spanish with either international relations/politcs or with media communications and film - which are very different.

does anyone have experience in these.... or studied these.

also how should i write a personal statement on both things!!!!! will i have a better chance writing it on one subject?
thank you
You can't easily write a PS for both of those combinations I'm afraid. But if you focus on Spanish, they will wonder why you haven't talked about your other subject (it could be admissions tutors from either subject area)
Original post by evarodi
i am interested in studying spanish with either international relations/politcs or with media communications and film - which are very different.

also how should i write a personal statement on both things!!!!! will i have a better chance writing it on one subject?
thank you

Hiya!

We have an "ask me anything" personal statement thread available until Friday so please feel free to ask them any questions you have! The people answering are from our Student recruitment team so have lots of advice about styles of writing etc.

This is the link:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6762596&p=91660288#post91660288

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by evarodi

thank you

Hey @evarodi :smile: This can be a bit of a tricky one to tackle, especially when the statement doesn't have a lot of space!

It's totally up to you how you approach your PS, and you should be careful on how you balance your subject understandings alongside things that you've done too. I'd perhaps say you can lead with your knowledge of Spanish, and why you want to study Spanish in particular as this is the one thing you are certain of? You can talk about your love of the language, your desire to travel and understand other cultures (you can drop a line in here about International Relations/Politics and the importance of languages), and communicate with others while you do so (could touch in media comms here). You could say that your love of Spanish was inspired by a particular film/documentary which peaked your interest in languages and how they relate to different industries. You could talk about the importance of languages in the modern world (touching on things like Brexit would again flag your interest in the International Relations/Politics side of things). You can talk throughout the statement about times where you feel languages/Spanish has impacted society- and pick examples from Politics/Media etc to demonstrate this.

Those are just a couple of ways that I think you could subtly use to touch on your interests across all areas. It would be near impossible to write a statement which says "I want to study either Spanish with International Relations/Politics, or Spanish with Media, Communications and Film...." AND give a full view of all three areas AND talk about yourself- but there are some nods that you can put in to the personal statement which shows the reader you have thought about their discipline. Remember to chat about things that inspire *you* and make sure they come across :colondollar: We want to get to know you and understand why you'll be a great candidate for the course.

Every PS is uniquely different and there's no definite right way to do it I'm afraid! But I hope this has maybe helped a little?

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending