JimmyKite02
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ok, so I got predictors in the end of yr 12 and I got AABB. I want to apply to courses in Imperial and Warwick which require A*A*A. It looks like my grades aren't improving between now and the application deadline. Should I consider a gap year if I want to go to those unis?

If I do a gap year, what happens to my predictors? How can I get them up to A*A*A? Do I need to sit any exams?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm seriously concerned about my situation.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Probably - can't imagine you realistically getting an offer with AAB predictions.

You wouldn't apply with predictions, you'd just apply with your achieved grades
gizmo2020
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you take a gap year after year 13, then you would be applying to these universities after already sitting you A-levels, right?
So you would not need predicted grades.
JimmyKite02
Rep:
?
(Original post by gizmo2020)
If you take a gap year after year 13, then you would be applying to these universities after already sitting you A-levels, right?
So you would not need predicted grades.
Oh ok, that makes sense! So would you recommend that for my situation? The thing is, I kinda have a few backup unis that I know are good. For instance, Nottingham and Queen Mary for Computer Science. But, I'm not sure if I'd like to go there or wait a year and try my luck at Imperial and Warwick.
JimmyKite02
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
Probably - can't imagine you realistically getting an offer with AAB predictions.

You wouldn't apply with predictions, you'd just apply with your achieved grades
Cool, thanks!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JimmyKite02)
Ok, so I got predictors in the end of yr 12 and I got AABB. I want to apply to courses in Imperial and Warwick which require A*A*A. It looks like my grades aren't improving between now and the application deadline. Should I consider a gap year if I want to go to those unis?

If I do a gap year, what happens to my predictors? How can I get them up to A*A*A? Do I need to sit any exams?

Hey JimmyKite02!

You could also see if Imperial or Warwick have any spaces in adjustment after achieving your A-levels - if you happen to do better than predicted - if you do want to apply for 2021 entry!

I hope this helps
Eloise - Official Student Rep
gizmo2020
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh ok, that makes sense! So would you recommend that for my situation? The thing is, I kinda have a few backup unis that I know are good. For instance, Nottingham and Queen Mary for Computer Science. But, I'm not sure if I'd like to go there or wait a year and try my luck at Imperial and Warwick
I am currently just applying to unis as well. Unlike many people, I didn't add a safety school. I could have added one, but I wouldn't have wanted to go there. I would recommend only applying to unis you actually want to go to. If you don't get in...then plan B can be a gap year. I would recommend still applying to Imperial and Warwick this year. If they reject you because of your predicted grades, then you can apply the following year with stellar A-levels. They might even be impressed that you worked hard to get your grades up.
Banechann
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Im quite literally in the same situation as you. Im still applying to Universities just not the ones I wanted to eg Imperial, UCL etc. If you really want to go them then take the gap year, id just apply to ucas anyways just in case you don't do as well as you hoped for your final exams.
JimmyKite02
Rep:
?
(Original post by gizmo2020)
I am currently just applying to unis as well. Unlike many people, I didn't add a safety school. I could have added one, but I wouldn't have wanted to go there. I would recommend only applying to unis you actually want to go to. If you don't get in...then plan B can be a gap year. I would recommend still applying to Imperial and Warwick this year. If they reject you because of your predicted grades, then you can apply the following year with stellar A-levels. They might even be impressed that you worked hard to get your grades up.
Ok, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.55%

Watched Threads