Accommodation won't let me move flats

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently a third year placement student sharing a flat with all first years and since September they've been inviting people over and having flat parties until around 6am every other day. I'm unable to sleep from how loud the noise is and I have to wake up at 7am for work (I work 9-5 for the NHS mon-fri). I usually get around 3/4 hours of sleep a night if I'm lucky.

I asked the receptionist at my accommodation if I could move flats and she asked why and I explained the above. She then told me that it's not a good enough reason to move flats due to covid, even though I have to pay a fee to move flats that covers cleaning anyway. She then said that technically as I hadn't reported anything to security there hasn't been any noise going on in my flat.

The problem is that I can't report them to security without them seeing me as they usually hang out in the corridor during their gatherings and would see me leave the flat to go report them to security who would then issue them a warning or whatever. I don't really want beef with my flatmates as I've experienced it before and didn't enjoy it so I don't really want to report them to security and would've just preferred to move to a quieter flat or something.

I know that with first years they're missing out on freshers so I don't mind that they want to party and drink but it's just too much for me personally as it's so often. I don't want to necessarily stop them from having their fun and it would be easier for me to just leave the situation than to intervene their uni social life I guess.

Is my accommodation allowed to just refuse to let me move flats even though it's for a genuine reason and affecting my day-to-day life?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I forgot to add there are plenty of spare rooms in my accommodation too so availability wasn't a problem. I had actually asked them beforehand if they had spare rooms to which they replied that they have loads.
Omegatron
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The security in our accommodation has a telephone number that we can ring after hours if we need to so maybe yours will have one as well so that you can report them without having to leave your room?

It does seem a bit silly that they won't let you move rooms when there's empty ones, unless maybe all the spare rooms they have differ in price?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm currently a third year placement student sharing a flat with all first years and since September they've been inviting people over and having flat parties until around 6am every other day. I'm unable to sleep from how loud the noise is and I have to wake up at 7am for work (I work 9-5 for the NHS mon-fri). I usually get around 3/4 hours of sleep a night if I'm lucky.

I asked the receptionist at my accommodation if I could move flats and she asked why and I explained the above. She then told me that it's not a good enough reason to move flats due to covid, even though I have to pay a fee to move flats that covers cleaning anyway. She then said that technically as I hadn't reported anything to security there hasn't been any noise going on in my flat.

The problem is that I can't report them to security without them seeing me as they usually hang out in the corridor during their gatherings and would see me leave the flat to go report them to security who would then issue them a warning or whatever. I don't really want beef with my flatmates as I've experienced it before and didn't enjoy it so I don't really want to report them to security and would've just preferred to move to a quieter flat or something.

I know that with first years they're missing out on freshers so I don't mind that they want to party and drink but it's just too much for me personally as it's so often. I don't want to necessarily stop them from having their fun and it would be easier for me to just leave the situation than to intervene their uni social life I guess.

Is my accommodation allowed to just refuse to let me move flats even though it's for a genuine reason and affecting my day-to-day life?
Is this a private hall?

Just keep a diary of when you are woken up, time and what happened. Also the fact you have asked them not to wake you etc.
Look at your licence and especially the right to quiet enjoyment.
Report it to them or explain how you can report it without the other members of the flat turning on you which a cack handed investigation will do.
Talk to consumer helpline, who will confirm your rights under the consumer act.

Complain higher than the receptionist or at least make theoretical enquiries as to if this was the case, how would a resident report it?
Point out your rights under the licence and under the consumer rights act that CAB will inform you of.
Ask to move.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Omegatron)
The security in our accommodation has a telephone number that we can ring after hours if we need to so maybe yours will have one as well so that you can report them without having to leave your room?

It does seem a bit silly that they won't let you move rooms when there's empty ones, unless maybe all the spare rooms they have differ in price?
When I asked reception how to report they told me that I have to go down but they must have a number so I will definitely ask as it would be more convenient. I also actually left to go sleep in my friends flat (I unfortunately couldn't share as their flat was full and I didn't know my placement location until late August) at around 3am the other night as they woke me up for like the 5th time and I couldn't go to work for another day with barely any sleep. When they heard me leave my room and the flat they all left the kitchen literally in the same minute and moved to another flat but I'm not sure if it's because they thought I was going to report them or it was just coincidence they moved?? So i really do hope I am able to report them without leaving my room.

I checked the website and there's still at least 15 rooms that are still available in my price range so it's not because of that. Even if it was a higher price range, I would pay the price difference if it meant I could move flat lol. I told my friends and they thought it was ridiculous too. The receptionist told me it was only for the LAST resort and that security had to persistently warn them for noise that they would consider letting me move because of COVID and it would be a hassle for cleaning :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads