Is it spoilt to cry if you don’t get something you wanted?

Watch
nerual16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got a new laptop the other day and obviously I showed that I was greatful to my parents. But I had this weird ocd moment that just because the layout of the laptop wasn’t “modern” in my opinion , it drove me to tears and I couldn’t use it because it just angered me. It’s the same when we got the living room decorated and I hated how it looked so I literally don’t go in that room because it makes me physically squirm when I go in there. Idk why I’m like this it’s so stupid but when I don’t get what I want sometimes I have a tantrum (in private obviously) so embarrasing... but actually a issue fr
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nerual16)
I got a new laptop the other day and obviously I showed that I was greatful to my parents. But I had this weird ocd moment that just because the layout of the laptop wasn’t “modern” in my opinion , it drove me to tears and I couldn’t use it because it just angered me. It’s the same when we got the living room decorated and I hated how it looked so I literally don’t go in that room because it makes me physically squirm when I go in there. Idk why I’m like this it’s so stupid but when I don’t get what I want sometimes I have a tantrum (in private obviously) so embarrasing... but actually a issue fr
Think about those people who can’t afford to get these things and struggle for the basic necessities.

Perhaps, you should get a job and buy things yourself?
At least that way, you can have your own preference.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you have money you should buy expensive stuff for yourself so you can get exactly what you want.
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I cried over **** like that when I was like 12....
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, I bought someone a laptop and they did that ****, I would take it back, get a refund, keep the money to myself and think twice about buying them anything in future.
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, but I also get it to an extent. Perhaps you need to look deeper into solving this, as it's going to be hard if you let it fester.
Alienated.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can I have the laptop then?
SuperiorPotato
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you think it might be something more serious than just being a spoilt brat? As in something that's triggered by these things mentally?
Dash7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you have these moments in private then I wouldn't call you spoilt, although it's maybe slightly worrying. Being spoilt is crying in front of your parents until they actually buy you a new laptop, which obviously did not happen.

But generally this just shows your frustration about things outside of your control. I guess when you grow older and get more independence you won't suffer from this problem as much.
shumaira
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you sound really privileged not gonna lie. i might get frustrated with ugly decor and bad laptop layout but would never complain about it and wouldn't cry about it. i feel for you though maybe explore this problem further and try to find out why youre easily irritable/ tearful/ a little bit spoilt. in real defo refrain from throwing a tantrum when things dont go your way- it will be difficult to come back from.
x
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There’s an element of child in all of us. I think the fact you’re aware of it and keep it in private means that it is well controlled. Plus you can strive to be more laid back when frustrations arise and put them in perspective
nerual16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SuperiorPotato)
Do you think it might be something more serious than just being a spoilt brat? As in something that's triggered by these things mentally?
What do you mean?
SuperiorPotato
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nerual16)
What do you mean?
You said that it wasn't in order or you didn't like the design. The fact that this angered you so much to the point of you crying could be something more serious
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on how you control your response to those feelings of being upset. Its extremely rude to tell people if something isnt how you wanted. But keeping your feelings disappointment is fine.
𝔸𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕟 𝔸𝕦𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕒
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends really. It depends how u respond to those feelings - ie its rude to say to someone "this is not how I wanted it" cus we should be grateful they actually got us something in the first place u know?
If you have these moments in private then in my point of view it's not spoilt it's kinda worrying - Spoilt is like asking ur parents to buy you a new phone and they say no so you cry and cry in front of ur parents until they go and buy one for u and that's not the case here - its more like u becoming frustrated with it in private which seems kinda worrying.
Also, do u think there may be an underlying thing that is triggering it at all?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (64)
27.71%
No - I have already returned home (25)
10.82%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
21.65%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (22)
9.52%
No - I live at home during term anyway (70)
30.3%

Watched Threads