MindMax2000
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
...or engineering?

I was comparing the league table ratings for Times, Guardian's, and Complete University Guide for physical sciences (chemistry & physics) and engineering, and their opinions vary widely, even if it's on the same single subject e.g. physics.

I haven't specifically investigated the metrics they have used, but even then the ratings for different universities shouldn't be all over the place. Some universities even have better ratings than the ones you normally considered at the top end of the table - have things changed that drastically?

I'm also having problems finding league tables for physical sciences and engineering for universities outside of the UK and US that teach in English, other than Time's league table. Does anyone have any good sources for this? I'm particularly looking at the Nordic countries, but I am also considering Singapore should they have universities with good reputation.

Thanks.
jjnaeris
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm having the same problem. I'm also applying for Physical Sciences and for now my top options are Oxbridge, Durham, Birmingham, UCL, Imperial and St Andrews based on some recommendations and the ones that come up in the top ten on most lists. I'll let you know I find any useful info about this.
MindMax2000
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by jjnaeris)
I'm having the same problem. I'm also applying for Physical Sciences and for now my top options are Oxbridge, Durham, Birmingham, UCL, Imperial and St Andrews based on some recommendations and the ones that come up in the top ten on most lists. I'll let you know I find any useful info about this.
Thanks.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some of the league tables give a lot of recognition to student satisfaction. It can be that students give good feedback on easy, flexible courses but these are not the courses which employers are attracted to or which are the best preparation for postgrad. Likewise, some rating tables favour research output - which may be pretty irrelevant to an undergrad student.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads