A levels for Astrophysics degree/masters

Watch
_jameswatson_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey, I am a year 11 student at the moment and am choosing A Levels. My hopes for my future is to go into astrophysics and i would like to choose suitable A Levels for that area.

So far, i am certain that I will be taking maths, further maths and physics. However, i am stuck on a 4th one.
The ones which i am most likely to take are:
- Computer Science because coding is useful for going into astrophysics. I am experienced with python but it may help to take this one
- Chemistry because i think that it would help as well when doing research
- History because it helps with the essay writing side of the area. Also it would help show the universities what other skills i am capable of

I enjoy all of the subjects above and i get good grades in them all. Please post if you have any advice please

(P.S there was an old discussion on this but since it was 7 years ago i wanted to see what the modern opinions are haha)
Last edited by _jameswatson_; 4 weeks ago
Moana92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm no expert but I would imagine that physics may be quite important for astrophysics given the course title? Your best bet is to research Universities that offer that course and look at their entry requirements - that will give you an idea of what you need to do
Laurence00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _jameswatson_)
Hey, I am a year 11 student at the moment and am choosing A Levels. My hopes for my future is to go into astrophysics and i would like to choose suitable A Levels for that area.

So far, i am certain that I will be taking maths, further maths and physics. However, i am stuck on a 4th one.
- Computer Science because coding is useful for going into astrophysics. I am experienced with python but it may help to take this one
- History because it helps with the essay writing side of the area. Also it would help show the universities what other skills i am capable of

I enjoy all of the subjects above and i get good grades in them all. Please post if you have any advice please

(P.S there was an old discussion on this but since it was 7 years ago i wanted to see what the modern opinions are haha)
Don’t do chemistry if you don’t like it. It’s aids
WhyNotThree
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _jameswatson_)

I can't imagine the opinions will have changed too much. My physics degree was 10 years ago but A-levels in Maths and Physics are still the key ones.

Further Maths is always a good shout - not least because it'll help with the transition to first year. You'll have compulsory maths modules during your degree, and the first one is likely to cover a lot of the core pure maths content of Further.

As for your 4th just go with your gut.

My preference would be A-level Computer Science for the exposure to coding. That said, they'll teach you to code at uni and there is a vast, vast selection of online self-study resources available these days to teach yourself pretty much any elements of coding you want/need to learn about.

Chemistry probably will not come up in any huge detail during your degree - but you'll learn in your quantum mechanics modules at uni why some of the stuff that you'll learn about in A-level Chemistry is a thing, and it'll give you a bit more of a 'rounded' science education (and if you decide that you want to apply to something like NatSci at Cambridge, your options would be a bit limited with just Physics and Maths A-levels)

History isn't a bad idea either - you'll be writing plenty of lab reports and the ability to write clearly and concisely is always good to have, especially if you don't spend much time developing these skills in your science A-levels. I did Philosophy at A-level and essay subjects give your brain a workout in a different way. Maybe find out what periods of history you'd be learning about at A-level and see if they interest you. Not much point doing History *just* for the writing skills if you don't end up enjoying the content as well.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You don't needmuch actual in-depth computer science knowledge, having some experience with Python is already a good start. Once you're far in to your degree it doesn't matter much whether people took A-level computer science or not. Or even if they had much experience in coding before uni.

I took maths, further maths, physics and history. History was a nice break from my other subjects, but it helped a lot that I was very interested in the topics and quickly found a knack for writing essays.

Chemistry isn't important for a physics degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (632)
33.53%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (794)
42.12%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (374)
19.84%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.51%

Watched Threads