I feel betrayed by a health professional

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Basically went to a mental health clinic couple weeks ago, ask how i was feeling and told them 70% of how i was feeling, i remember they told me that everything that didn't risk harm of myself or others would be confidential so i spoke my heart. I told them to keep it a secret. Fast forwards today, a letter comes through to my parents it said basically everything i told them. They worsened my situation 10x, i was starting to slowly get out of my hopelessness and sadness but now I'm back to square one. They worsened my situation by telling my parents. I feel betrayed that i can never fully open up to someone. Any advice on what to do. Is this illegal?
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Was the letter actually addressed to them or you?

If it was for them then the clinic broke your confidence and I'm pretty sure the law on confidentiality.

https://www.rethink.org/advice-and-i...nfidentiality/
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Was the letter actually addressed to them or you?

If it was for them then the clinic broke your confidence and I'm pretty sure the law on confidentiality.

https://www.rethink.org/advice-and-i...nfidentiality/
It was to them, the letter said to parents and it said STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL inside the letter.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It was to them, the letter said to parents and it said STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL inside the letter.
I’d look for or request their confidentiality policy. Sharing details of mental health problems without consent is enough to make you no longer seek help in case they do this sh*t. Even if their policy allows it they don’t need to share it anyway and you asked them not to so there is no reason for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.42%

Watched Threads