Study6076
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So when you're a med student for around 5/6 years in the UK, you obviously don't get paid so will you have to work and study?

Do people not find this overwhelming as med school already has a heavy workload?

I would like to know what med students do unless their parents help them out, but what if your parents cant help you out?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Study6076)
So when you're a med student for around 5/6 years in the UK, you obviously don't get paid so will you have to work and study?
Not necessarily, I didn't work. What about student loans?

Do people not find this overwhelming as med school already has a heavy workload?
The pre-clinical phase isn't really that hard.

My personal first couple of years were mainly half days, with one full day per week (half day going to the hospital per week) so if you really wanted to work, you could.

But student loans will cover your tuition + living costs, parental income pending.

Many med students do not work during the course; but of course some do.

You know what's tough? International medical students (some unis charge > £50,000 per year) and graduates doing standard undergrad medicine. Both these groups do not have any student finance support and they really will have to work hard to support themselves.

If you're aiming for standard undergrad medicine as a school leaver, don't worry.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
Study6076
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Not necessarily, I didn't work. What about student loans?

The pre-clinical phase isn't really that hard.

My personal first couple of years were mainly half days, with one full day per week (half day going to the hospital per week) so if you really wanted to work, you could.

But student loans will cover your tuition + living costs, parental income pending.

Many med students do not work during the course; but of course some do.
how much do you get roughly from student loans if you don't mind me asking(average)? and i'm assuming you will have pay this back alongside your tuition fees, and I heard something bout grants... could you shed some light on this?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Study6076)
how much do you get roughly from student loans if you don't mind me asking(average)?
Read https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/n...ltime-students, it's got all the information you want.

and i'm assuming you will have pay this back alongside your tuition fees, and I heard something bout grants... could you shed some light on this?
Grants are parental-income depending, again it should be in the website above.

Assuming you're a home student, your last year of med school is paid for (i.e. you don't need to pay that £9250) by the NHS bursary.
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My cousin does medicine. She sells calendars and washes cars to fund her overseas trips and pay for her course. You could always teach kiddy art classes or sell unwanted items online etc to raise the money. What about getting a job as a babysitter or tutor part time as well? That is a good way to earn money.
A unique money making idea is to have a lemonade stall or a massage booth at car boot sales in addition. It may also be a idea to have a monthly or weekly fortune telling class or tarot reading workshop via which you can earn money to support yourself financially (be careful here however). You can even do bar work on a semi regular basis in addition and have a variety of kid friendly art and craft lessons that are popular. And you could earn money by offering sound sensible beauty or life advice. Kids love sport, you could train to be a coach or teacher.
Iffyiffy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got pretty decent student loan based on living with only one of my parents, and my other parent thankfully paid my (fairly cheap) rent.

Though on top of this I worked from 2nd year until I graduated in a part time job in a call centre. It was stressful at times but tbh it was worth it because I made decent money working 18 hours a week. I found it much easier working two long shifts rather than multiple short ones.

Also I think it definitely helped me prepare for working in the NHS and dealing with workplace politics.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm going to hazard a guess that parental money plays a major part for the majority. If you are above the student loans thresholds that decrease your maintenance loan, it is expected, after all. The minimum loan is unlikely to cover even your accommodation costs, and the loan actually decreases below the normal minimum in later years.

I personally did have savings/parental support. I also did a couple Christmas night jobs (~£1000 per week for 2 weeks x2), and did some clinical trials (~£2500 total, plus loads of moral value).

Living very frugally is obviously also part of it. My first student accommodation cost £2400 per year 12 years ago - same accommodation has gone up by 60% now lol.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got through the first few years using student loans and then working in the (long) summer holidays, mostly doing medical admin jobs. Pay wasn't amazing but easier than retail and more sociable hours than bar work! As a female I wasn't eligible for the best-paying medical trials and out of term lived too far away anyway. Had a bit saved up from my gap year but it wasn't loads.

Clinical years I got a bit more loan as the terms were longer, but it didn't really cover the shortfall so I did end up needing some parental assistance. I'm lucky that I'm on the old loan/fees system though, so will have paid my loan off in 6 months time (would have been sooner if I hadn't gone on mat leave/part time) whereas graduates nowadays will be paying it off for most of their career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.34%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.36%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.22%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.49%

Watched Threads