futureisall
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have 4 years previous study but did not achieve my degree for personal reasons. I have been granted 2 additional years funding pending third and forth year CPR applications.

I’m looking to do 5 year medicine undergraduate entry starting September 2021.

I’ve been told I have 5+1-4+2 years of study which amounts to 4 years funded if no further CPR requests are granted. So I would be required to self fund first year.

Is this correct?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by futureisall)
I have 4 years previous study but did not achieve my degree for personal reasons. I have been granted 2 additional years funding pending third and forth year CPR applications.

I’m looking to do 5 year medicine undergraduate entry starting September 2021.

I’ve been told I have 5+1-4+2 years of study which amounts to 4 years funded if no further CPR requests are granted. So I would be required to self fund first year.

Is this correct?
Hi, if you have been told your calculation is 5+1-4 +2 then yes you would have 4 years of funding and be required to self fund the first year unless you provide further CPR evidence.
Thanks, Isaac
futureisall
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, if you have been told your calculation is 5+1-4 +2 then yes you would have 4 years of funding and be required to self fund the first year unless you provide further CPR evidence.
Thanks, Isaac
I’ve also been told 6 different answers on 6 different phone calls.

Can you confirm this is actually correct?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I'd look to get an answer from them in writing (not on TSR). What with some years normally NHS funded rather than SFE and your background, this definitely has the potential to get complicated.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I'd look to get an answer from them in writing (not on TSR). What with some years normally NHS funded rather than SFE and your background, this definitely has the potential to get complicated.
It doesn't matter what was NHS funded or SFE funded. We look at previous study not previous funding.

I can confirm it's correct based on the information you provided. If you call us or message us on Twitter/Facebook then we can review your account.

Thanks, Isaac
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I can confirm it's correct based on the information you provided. If you call us or message us on Twitter/Facebook then we can review your account.

Thanks, Isaac
It matters what the NHS will fund, though. You say that you will fund 4 years and he will have to self fund 1. Can you 100% tell me that year isn't NHS funded, though?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It matters what the NHS will fund, though. You say that you will fund 4 years and he will have to self fund 1. Can you 100% tell me that year isn't NHS funded, though?
For undergraduate medicine, students can receive the usual package of support available to undergraduates in their first 4 years of study (Maintenance, Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Support such as Means Testing ML, Special Support, Maintenance Grant and DSA if applicable) subject to previous study and ELQ rules.

If a student has to self fund a year then it's the first year of the course they self fund. So he wouldn't receive a Tuition Fee Loan in the first year, based on the calculation he provided in this post. I can't confirm his calculation is correct but he can contact us and we can check all of his previous study.

The 5th year is NHS funded and the student can only receive a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Isaac
futureisall
Rep:
?
For undergraduate medicine, students can receive the usual package of support available to undergraduates in their first 4 years of study (Maintenance, Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Support such as Means Testing ML, Special Support, Maintenance Grant and DSA if applicable) subject to previous study and ELQ rules.

If a student has to self fund a year then it's the first year of the course they self fund. So he wouldn't receive a Tuition Fee Loan in the first year, based on the calculation he provided in this post. I can't confirm his calculation is correct but he can contact us and we can check all of his previous study.

The 5th year is NHS funded and the student can only receive a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Isaac
I’m a she.

I have contacted on 6 occasions and none of your advisors know what they are doing at all.

I’ve been told 6 different answers by 6 advisors. 2 of which claimed they checked their answers with a senior advisors which could confirm however one confirmed I had to self fund 3 years and another 1 year? Even senior advisors don’t know what they are doing.

I’m sure you can appreciate having 6 answers that range from requiring to self fund nothing and £27,750 are very different. They didn’t understand undergraduate entry with previous study, they didn’t know what CPR was, told me it had already been applied, said medicine was an allied health course, medicine was exempt from previous study, told me to complete a change of circumstances to cancel the most recent application that was a suspended application, told me I had been granted 2 years CPR whereas another claimed I had been granted 3 years CPR. And so on.

How do I escalate this to someone who knows what they are doing because calling student finance is a waste of time.
Last edited by futureisall; 3 weeks ago
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m a she.

I have contacted on 6 occasions and none of your advisors know what they are doing at all.

I’ve been told 6 different answers by 6 advisors. 2 of which claimed they checked their answers with a senior advisors which could confirm however one confirmed I had to self fund 3 years and another 1 year? Even senior advisors don’t know what they are doing.

I’m sure you can appreciate having 6 answers that range from requiring to self fund nothing and £27,750 are very different. They didn’t understand undergraduate entry with previous study, they didn’t know what CPR was, told me it had already been applied, said medicine was an allied health course, medicine was exempt from previous study, told me to complete a change of circumstances to cancel the most recent application that was a suspended application, told me I had been granted 2 years CPR whereas another claimed I had been granted 3 years CPR. And so on.

How do I escalate this to someone who knows what they are doing because calling student finance is a waste of time.
Please message us on Facebook/Twitter and we can review your account. Please send us your name and CRN. It's currently taking up to 48 hours for a response.
Thanks, Isaac
futureisall
Rep:
?
Please message us on Facebook/Twitter and we can review your account. Please send us your name and CRN. It's currently taking up to 48 hours for a response.
Thanks, Isaac
How long does it take to hear back from a CPR request?
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Thanks, Isaac
Thank you for the explanation Isaac.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How long does it take to hear back from a CPR request?
Currently 35 working days(7 weeks) but we do advise allowing up to 8 weeks as our timescales can change.
Thank you for the explanation Isaac.
You're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (624)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (777)
42.05%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.7%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.49%

Watched Threads