Last edited by hugoluca; 4 weeks ago
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hugoluca)
Good day.

I'm a mature student with learning difficulties and other health issues; like anxiety and sleep problems.

I will cut straight to the issue and situation that i hope someone may be able to shed some light on.

My degree is a postgraduate MBA Masters of Administration, in the second year the module was of poor tutoring service i believe.
I was graded with low marks for all three assignments ...
I was also performing poorly it seems due to impacts from the covid virus lockdown, and financial impacts, and so like many of us.

A number of points to outline evidenced regarding poor tutoring service:
1. Comparatively I asked for an assignment review this is not allowed, however, on the following module i asked for assignment review, tutor their said same we can't review assignments, however we can review paragraphs. If the tutor in the module in question provided paragraph reviews i believe i would have scored much higher.
2. The tutor when i asked a question in a live lesson online video my first question, he hushed me basically and said he'd speak to me at the end. At end of lesson when last student logs out, its just me and him then he logs out.
3. On email communication i'm not understanding reference examples, i contact regarding he says look at it again.
4. Online forum i ask question he says he doesn't understand, why don't i phone him.
And i can add say close to half a dozen more points regarding this service and communications.
5. If the tutor couldn't understand my dyslexic errors in writing in assignments why didn't he do a paragraph review to help me the student.

This is were things start to get very bad now...

The scores for my 3 assignments are the worst in my 5/6 years studying online. My 3 worst assignment scores in one module, like the 3 worst scores in one module out of all the modules in 5/6 in this online university - first a business management degree and then into this MBA.

So, my scores are to low to get to the exam ... Overall my result was 35/100 you need 40 to be able to sit the exam.
I had to put in special circumstances for assessors to review regarding impacts from covid-19 and so which impacted on grading, i did this and also of course spoke alot about the poor service in the special circumstances form.

I mentioned to the student advisers numerous emails / told the university i had no interest in continuing further if i was not passed. I believed with special circumstances 100% i had passed the module (30 credit module) and signed into the next modules (two 15 credit modules). Lets says each module takes 6 months, 2 and a half months before the end of the next modules, they give me an exam for the 30 credit module i thought i let through ... I thought they wanted to put me into the exam to make me earn my place to prove i can do it. I studied this period all the up to 5 days before the 30 credit exam, and then the university tells me no exam i failed!!
This caused much distress really bad health impact. On the two 15 credit modules i worked hard and got ahead of one completing the EMA before assignment as my wife was due to give birth 2/3 week before deadline. And then the University threw that exam for the 30 credit module at me ... On the other 15 credit module i was studying it had an exam, so i was now studying for two exams.

Five days before the 30 credit exam the university calls me and says no exam. In 4 days i had the 15 credit exam, the next day was the 30 credit exam. The impacts with my anxiety were huge, you cannot understand with the words reading this request for help. Before getting the call from the university saying no exam, i already enrolled on a year 3 module ... They required requested me to withdraw from that module and enrol back onto the 30 credit module they now failed me i thought i passed and was studying for.

Some facts: when they allocated me the exam i paid to resit the module a small fee, i disputed this fee as it was my first exam attempt but paid it anyway - deadlines for payment, was offered support and live lecture teaching assistance to refresh the module for exam, given guidance and course material / links, spoke on and off over months to student support.

Throughout the module with poor tutor service (30 credits) i was at odd with my tutoring, and requested second opinion grading two times of the three assignments, the first assignment came back with 1 point lower - if i remember correctly. Later the third assignment and they gave me 5 less pints on second opinion. In special circumstances i told them i bite my tongue regarding assignment two encase the tutor i feel was already not in my favour ... Assignment three was an assignment i had similarly completed in different modules over years and this was also the lowest score i ever had for this similar module - discussing your own working/business environment.

I believe 50 - 50 i'm either being sabotaged deliberately punished because of my numerous comments, or its all coincidentally mis-management and poor service.

Theirs more i can say but can anyone help? What are my legal options for compensation.

I put in complaints regarding to the university in question, and told im disgusted, and highlighted some of the distress they put me in, and how they pissed all over the student myself and even i'm sure effected negatively that coming 15 credit exam. On the day of the exam i was on the phone for close to an hour with student support for the university regarding the 30 credit exam.

I have not had a reply from the university complaints yet its almost 15 days later, they know i'm thinking compensation as i said i want to be compensated and want an explanation for all this crap.

The 30 credit module cost £3000+, 2 months+ of study time for that 30 credit exam at least 8 hours a week for months, i could have used the added time for my other exam, making money, or as i said to the university spent with my newborn child instead of being locked away studying. I cant study until i'm alone and its late no little noise. I committed to modules i wouldn't have started another £3000.

The university has caused a great deal of distress, mislead my pathways as i believed before enrolling on future modules i passed the 30 credit module, that module 30 credit poor service tutoring, also gave me an exam to study for that i paid for on a resit and sitting on my homepage for months being said i cannot sit exam 5 days before.

Thank you in advance for any good legal direction or sound advice ...
You sound like a nice guy but cmon.... I'm doing a master's in management at a top university in the Netherlands... and have stunning grades during online instruction. Most exams are open book or individual assignments and it is significantly easier than it was in traditional university..

Where you physically had to go into an exam hall with nothing but your pride and your memory....

Please search internally if your mentally fit for university. I think that is the issue here.
hugoluca
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Yes i have questioned this much. And i have succeed through an 3 years business management and first years MBA, and believe the two 15 credit modules i will pass reasonably convincingly. If i believed i was that far gone mentally or that disabled i would not have enrolled and been studying consistently for the last 5/6 years, i would have used the time into for other returns.
Some give up some push forward regardless personal or external obstacles, the point of teachers are to tutor and help students that need assistance or direction. On the following modules my scoring was 50, 64, 83, i believe i passed corporate finance exam and ema reasonably well. Not amazing sure but i passed and tutors assisted in that.
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Clearly they are going to turn you down for assignment reviews if they are not allowed. And you didnt mention anything about a paragraph review. Whether you knew about that opportunity or not is irrelevant, bottom line is that you did not request it.
Going along with that, you should not expect the uni to cater to your schedule. That is not how life works.

Like post two suggested, the issue rather seems to be whether you are mentally apt for university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (658)
33.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (837)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.47%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.52%

Watched Threads