what can cause ringing in the left ear?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im gonna get it checked out soon, but about 5 months ago I randomly gota very mild ear infection. Only the earlobe was affected, it became slightly swollen and would hurt if you squeezed it but generally speaking i couldnt notice it, as i say it was very mild and it went completely after 2-3 days. However, for some reason, ever since i had that infection there has been a constant high pitched ringing in my left ear. Im pretty sure although not 100% sure that it was caused by an itchiness inside my ear, and when i scratched it the ringing started. Although it may have just started because of the infection, i do seem to remember it started when i scratched my ear when it was itching. at first it was actually pretty bad as it was permanent. However, it slowly started to fade away and i think it more or less went after a while (I dont think it ever COMPLETELY went but it was probably at like 10% of what it was initially) i stopped thinking about it and for about 3 or 4 months i forgot about it. Then, a month or two ago. Once again the inside of my ear was itching and i scratched it (starting to realise i probably shouldnt do that lol) and the ringing came back. and this time it hasnt really gone. I have noticed it definitely gets worse when i scratch it although t doesnt go completely when i refrain from scratching it. I always worry about my health so naturally i am worried that it is from a tumour pressing on a nerve which is apparently possible. However, i dont have headaches or dizziness or hearing loss. Anyone have any idea?
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You are risking serious damage to your hearing. Please stop scratching it and see a doctor as soon as possible. Specsavers and Boots also both offer hearing checks and may be able to offer some advice in the meantime. There may be some medication you can take to reduce the itchiness.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
tinnitus. this is a odd ringing in your ear that may or may not need attention from a ENT doctor.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Could be nothing, could be something serious. Best to speak to a doctor.
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
First of all, please stop scratching your ear. You are risking causing serious damage if you do that. Secondly, it could be tinnitus. The best thing to do is contact your GP and book an appointment. It may be hard for them to diagnose without being able to look at your ear, but definitely contact your GP.
AlexBess
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi! Have you already been to an audiology clinic? I agree with other members that it is important not to scratch your ear or/and insert anything inside. Ear ringing can be caused by different things. I personally experienced it after the flu, but I was lucky to have temporary tinnitus. Hopefully, you are doing better now.
Last edited by AlexBess; 6 hours ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (903)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads