Want more information about this university?
Sullivaan444
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone.
Looking at applying to Queen’s as I’m doing an access course currently, I’d be starting in 2021.
I know this has been asked a lot but all the posts are rather old, does being an english student affect the uni experience?

I have a very thick Yorkshire accent and I was wondering if I’d face any discrimination or even just sly comments/questions about my own political views etc.

I hold no prejudices of course myself, as well as that is it true that most weekends you are left alone as NI students tend to go home? As much as I want a degree the social side is vastly important to me.
I’m not set on Queen’s for this reason as I would prefer to have a vibrant social life as well as not face any judgement, I do have an Irish surname and heritage but it’s 3 generations ago so it’s obsolete.
Queen's University Belfast
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sullivaan444)
Hi everyone.
Looking at applying to Queen’s as I’m doing an access course currently, I’d be starting in 2021.
I know this has been asked a lot but all the posts are rather old, does being an english student affect the uni experience?

I have a very thick Yorkshire accent and I was wondering if I’d face any discrimination or even just sly comments/questions about my own political views etc.

I hold no prejudices of course myself, as well as that is it true that most weekends you are left alone as NI students tend to go home? As much as I want a degree the social side is vastly important to me.
I’m not set on Queen’s for this reason as I would prefer to have a vibrant social life as well as not face any judgement, I do have an Irish surname and heritage but it’s 3 generations ago so it’s obsolete.
Hello Sullivaan444 :hello:

We hope you are keeping safe and well.

You may have already seen this, but three of our English students made a video and blog post regarding their experience of coming to Queen's and Belfast which you may find interesting. You can check it out here.

Hope this helps a bit and if you need anything else please let us know.

Thanks,

Team Queen's
(Kachela)

Team Queen's
(Kachela)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads