Imperial College Design Engineering Interview

Watch
heysummer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all, so I just got an interview of Design Engineering from Imperial.
I'm wondering if someone doing the course can give some advice about the interview.
Is the interview more about maths problems or more about your personal statement?
I saw on the email saying we got a chance to show our portfolios. I don't actually have one, will it make me disadvantaged among interviewee?
bibimbap_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by heysummer)
I'm wondering if someone doing the course can give some advice about the interview.
Is the interview more about maths problems or more about your personal statement?
I saw on the email saying we got a chance to show our portfolios. I don't actually have one, will it make me disadvantaged among interviewee?
hi when did you apply? I am also applying for design eng and slightly worried that I haven't heard anything yet
heysummer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bibimbap_)
hi when did you apply? I am also applying for design eng and slightly worried that I haven't heard anything yet
I submitted my application on 6th Oct.
Diana.jydai
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I got it too! When is your interview date?
heysummer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Diana.jydai)
I got it too! When is your interview date?
I have requested an alternative interview slot and that is on 18 Nov. What about u?
Diana.jydai
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I put mine on 12 Nov.
heysummer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Diana.jydai)
I put mine on 12 Nov.
Good luck with your interview!I'm pretty nervous tbh.
DEprocrastinate
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello, current 3rd Year Imperial DesEng student here evidently procrastinating from my work by browsing Student Room. Firstly, congrats on getting an interview!

From what I can remember and assuming that the interview structure has not changed too much in the last three years, you can expect something along the lines of (in no particular order):
1. a hypothetical maths question
--> this is about your approach to solving the problem, not the value/answer itself
--> I can absolutely guarantee the answer I gave was not correct but I ran through what steps I would take to solve it, and that's the main point of them asking you
2. a design related question
--> a very open ended question to see how you would approach design
3. an engineering/physics question
--> explain how a given mechanism works
4. an open general question
--> opportunity to talk about your past experiences/may be related to your personal statement

they are testing you on how you respond to available information
--> the interviewer will give you hints/prompts during the questions and they are looking to see how you utilise these hints in adjusting your answer aka don't just ignore them but acknowledge them and apply them to what you're trying to say

And another note being that they may ask you to multitask eg they asked me to sketch while answering
--> they aren't testing you on the quality of your outcome (it's a bonus if you're good but mine was bad trust me), it's more on your willingness to tackle challenges so don't panic

random general tips:
--> show evidence that you're engaging in the convo ie. I made an effort to pick up the pen & paper provided to make notes while I was doing the maths question (no idea how this would work in pandemic times though...)
--> always come prepared with a question to ask the interviewer at the end, as it shows your enthusiasm towards the course and that you're keen to know more [btw I forgot to actually prepare a question so I made it up on the fly (whoops) It was very stressful in that split second so I would definitely recommend putting some thought into it]
--> In terms of the portfolio, don't stress too much. Although I provided one, they spent a solid 10s max flipping through it right at the end and that was it. I know plenty of people in my cohort who didn't bring one.
--> The ones interviewing you guys are all lecturers in our department and they're all very friendly so don't stress too much.

Wow, in the end this answer became quite long and it was nice to go down memory lane. Not sure how helpful/relevant my experience will be since the course has changed somewhat since then but I hope it's of use to you guys. Good luck! I should really get back to my work now...
Last edited by DEprocrastinate; 3 weeks ago
Diana.jydai
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good luck with your interview!I'm pretty nervous tbh.
Haha, thank you! You too!
hufieeiwhfihf
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DEprocrastinate)
Hello, current 3rd Year Imperial DesEng student here evidently procrastinating from my work by browsing Student Room. Firstly, congrats on getting an interview!

From what I can remember and assuming that the interview structure has not changed too much in the last three years, you can expect something along the lines of (in no particular order):
1. a hypothetical maths question
--> this is about your approach to solving the problem, not the value/answer itself
--> I can absolutely guarantee the answer I gave was not correct but I ran through what steps I would take to solve it, and that's the main point of them asking you
2. a design related question
--> a very open ended question to see how you would approach design
3. an engineering/physics question
--> explain how a given mechanism works
4. an open general question
--> opportunity to talk about your past experiences/may be related to your personal statement

they are testing you on how you respond to available information
--> the interviewer will give you hints/prompts during the questions and they are looking to see how you utilise these hints in adjusting your answer aka don't just ignore them but acknowledge them and apply them to what you're trying to say

And another note being that they may ask you to multitask eg they asked me to sketch while answering
--> they aren't testing you on the quality of your outcome (it's a bonus if you're good but mine was bad trust me), it's more on your willingness to tackle challenges so don't panic

random general tips:
--> show evidence that you're engaging in the convo ie. I made an effort to pick up the pen & paper provided to make notes while I was doing the maths question (no idea how this would work in pandemic times though...)
--> always come prepared with a question to ask the interviewer at the end, as it shows your enthusiasm towards the course and that you're keen to know more [btw I forgot to actually prepare a question so I made it up on the fly (whoops) It was very stressful in that split second so I would definitely recommend putting some thought into it]
--> In terms of the portfolio, don't stress too much. Although I provided one, they spent a solid 10s max flipping through it right at the end and that was it. I know plenty of people in my cohort who didn't bring one.
--> The ones interviewing you guys are all lecturers in our department and they're all very friendly so don't stress too much.

Wow, in the end this answer became quite long and it was nice to go down memory lane. Not sure how helpful/relevant my experience will be since the course has changed somewhat since then but I hope it's of use to you guys. Good luck! I should really get back to my work now...
Hi, thanks for the great info!
How long does Imperial take to give offers?
And how is life as a DE student at Imperial? Like societies (sports) and social life?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (655)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (825)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (380)
19.52%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.47%

Watched Threads