Knightrises10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello. I wanted to know if taking gap year will have any disadvantage over my university application. I'm currently in Year 13, not applying anywhere right now, and planning of taking a gap year. I want to then apply next year during gap year. I want to travel, learn new skills and stuff during that gap year, so won't waste it. So will there be any risk or disadvantage in doing so?
Moana92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, it doesn't matter to unis when you start. But make the most of the year so that you can say 'it was useful because i learnt XYZ on my gap year'.
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Knightrises10)
Hello. I wanted to know if taking gap year will have any disadvantage over my university application. I'm currently in Year 13, not applying anywhere right now, and planning of taking a gap year. I want to then apply next year during gap year. I want to travel, learn new skills and stuff during that gap year, so won't waste it. So will there be any risk or disadvantage in doing so?
Hello Knightrises10,

Hope you are doing well!!

I took a gap year after finishing Year 13 and I found it extremely beneficial for me personally. I spent the first half of my gap year working and gaining skills that I felt would be beneficial in the future. Then I did some travelling during the second half, which in itself is a different type of learning. So personally I do not think that there will be any risk or disadvantage to taking a gap year, just try to make the most of it if you do take one.

I hope I was able to be of some help! If you have any questions, please do feel free to ask!

All the best,

Shaf
Visual_Learner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Find a company that specializes in gap year volunteering experiences for uni students and apply directly on their website.
Knightrises10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
Hello Knightrises10,

Hope you are doing well!!

I took a gap year after finishing Year 13 and I found it extremely beneficial for me personally. I spent the first half of my gap year working and gaining skills that I felt would be beneficial in the future. Then I did some travelling during the second half, which in itself is a different type of learning. So personally I do not think that there will be any risk or disadvantage to taking a gap year, just try to make the most of it if you do take one.

I hope I was able to be of some help! If you have any questions, please do feel free to ask!

All the best,

Shaf
So did you apply to universities during gap year or had you already applied somewhere before?
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some courses will want evidence that you're keeping up your knowledge, such as for maths, but otherwise it's just a great opportunity for personal development if you can afford it
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So did you apply to universities during gap year or had you already applied somewhere before?
Hello Knightrises10

I personally applied for university during my gap year, just due to the fact that I wasn't 100% sure about which universities I did want to apply to or the course I wanted to do. So then I was able to have that extra time to really think about what I wanted to do; I had not applied to anywhere in Year 13. However one of my friends also took a gap year, they however applied during Year 13 and were able to defer their place. So I think you could do it either way, depending on where you apply and what you apply to do. I guess it just depends on your own personal decisions.

I hope that was able to help you. If you have anymore questions, please do ask!

All the best,

Shaf
Knightrises10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
Hello Knightrises10

I personally applied for university during my gap year, just due to the fact that I wasn't 100% sure about which universities I did want to apply to or the course I wanted to do. So then I was able to have that extra time to really think about what I wanted to do; I had not applied to anywhere in Year 13. However one of my friends also took a gap year, they however applied during Year 13 and were able to defer their place. So I think you could do it either way, depending on where you apply and what you apply to do. I guess it just depends on your own personal decisions.

I hope that was able to help you. If you have anymore questions, please do ask!

All the best,

Shaf
Well, I'm exactly in the same situation as you were. I'm not entirely sure what would be best for me. Thank you very much!
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well, I'm exactly in the same situation as you were. I'm not entirely sure what would be best for me. Thank you very much!
Hello Knightrises10,

No worries! Happy to be able to help! Hope you are doing well!

I completely understand how you must be feeling, but I am sure you will be able to work out what will be best for you! Sometimes we just need a bit more time to think things through! But you will be absolutely fine!! I wish you all the best!!

If you ever do have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask!! I would be more than happy to help!!

All the best,

Shaf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads