Are there any benefits to studying online at uni?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Gov.LeslieKnope
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Who knows what next year is going to look like and uni might still be online or blended. Is there anything you like about studying online? are there any benefits?
Native087
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In the short term, less social interaction. More free time, less pressure. Less money spent.
In the long term, tough final years and regression of social skills.

good times only
Kogomogo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't have to travel to a physical place so save time there, can get in an hour or so of extra study a day or a little extra sleep. If the session is recorded then can look back on it later on if needed for revision.
Gov.LeslieKnope
Rep:
?
(Original post by Native087)
In the short term, less social interaction. More free time, less pressure. Less money spent.
In the long term, tough final years and regression of social skills.

good times only
ahhh okay - are you an introvert too? haha
Gov.LeslieKnope
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kogomogo)
Don't have to travel to a physical place so save time there, can get in an hour or so of extra study a day or a little extra sleep. If the session is recorded then can look back on it later on if needed for revision.
great that you can watch it back. I guess lectures aren't recorded as standard in non-covidy times ?

do you think you skip lectures more often now that they are online or less?
Native087
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gov.LeslieKnope)
ahhh okay - are you an introvert too? haha
Hahaha yes leaning that way for certain.
Kogomogo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gov.LeslieKnope)
great that you can watch it back. I guess lectures aren't recorded as standard in non-covidy times ?

do you think you skip lectures more often now that they are online or less?

I'm out of uni now, applying again this year. As to whether lectures were recorded, it depends on the lecturer. Some would put their slides online after the lecture, some would upload like a summary sheet of it, some would let students record audio (which would always be shared around), and there were lectures where nothing would end up online. It was very useful to be able to look back on it and fill in any gaps in notes.

I never skipped out on a lecture, i don't know if i would be more likely to if online. I want to say i wouldn't.
Gov.LeslieKnope
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kogomogo)
I'm out of uni now, applying again this year.

I never skipped out on a lecture, i don't know if i would be more likely to if online. I want to say i wouldn't.
Ahh cool! what are you going to study this time? how come you're going back again - did you change your mind about location or subject?

Re not skipping lectures - that's so good!! I definitely find it really hard to stay motivated in winter and it's dark and cold but i was thinking that online might be easier because i wouldn't have to go outside haha
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (493)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (610)
41.47%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (300)
20.39%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.62%

Watched Threads