Broke uni student

Watch
armourfive9
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
For those broke students like me, do you still manage to eat decent food or healthy food with your limited food budget?

Any money saving tips?
malditabusador
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most of the time you will end up spending money on drinks and going out to eat. Try to cut out on alcohol, make all your meals at home and you'll be fine. Work very hard and you'll be paying off your student loans in no time once you get out of uni. You got this!
Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Try travelling on bike if possible or just walk, cook large meals from scratch then freeze them for later and if you want to try to wash your clothes in your sink. Buy cheapo brands unless the stuff you actually want is on sale.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When I was a student on a limited budget, my diet was probably healthier than it is now. So yep, totally manageable to et healthily. Cooking from scratch and buying stuff that is reduced when possible is the way forward.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by armourfive9)
For those broke students like me, do you still manage to eat decent food or healthy food with your limited food budget?

Any money saving tips?
1. Learn to shop.
2. Learn to cook.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello

Identify ways to save money. Make a short list of money saving ideas on Word and print off two copies. One copy can hang in a accessible place on a wall and the other copy is a back up copy in case. One really good way to reduce your overall spending is to cut down on food shopping etc. Have a weekly meal plan to refer to. Store that safely somewhere in addition.

Look at food related deals online or in supermarkets. And when you want to see a movie on Netflix or Amazon Prime, then try to only pick a free or low cost one you like to see. Same applies to your mobile phone, do you qualify for any current deals or not? There are offers to be used, take a quick look at the website of the phone company or call or email for more information.
If eating a meal in restaurants, research the offers and promotions in advance etc. Out on the town or at the cinema? You can save a lot of money by limiting the amount that you drink on a night out and bringing food from home to eat during a film. You can even keep costs down by opting for a student card in advance and making use of any travel deals and so on.
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Planning what I’m going to have each week

Store cupboard essentials and keeping them stocked (I have been at uni a month and not had to replace pasta or rice or porridge yet)

The freezer for batch cooking (saves time overall too)

Shopping in cheap supermarkets or buying reduced things.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi armourfive9

Maybe try shopping at cheaper supermarkets Aldi and Lidl are good cheap supermarkets. Also having a part time job whilst studying is great help financially if you can manage it. I am a student ambassador at my University and it is quiet flexible as I am not committed to work so I can work around my studies. As well as working as a student ambassador for my University I am also with a few catering and hospitality agencies which are good for flexibility.
In which city are you studying?

Safaa
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by armourfive9)

Any money saving tips?
Don't steal others' food from the fridge.

I'm not saying that you do. I'm only saying, don't do it. I've crossed a few nonces in the past who use that they're broke as an excuse for binging on someone else's shopping. Pigs.
Last edited by NonIndigenous; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (715)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (904)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads