How expensive is it to study in London?

Watch
ewpfs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm from a low income family (will receive max student loan) and I'm looking at applying to UCL/KCL. The only thing putting me off is the cost of living.

Is it doable to live and study in London without having money from your parents to support you? My main worry is that, after 1st year, I'll have to find accommodation in London and I won't be able to afford anything decent.
cattywampus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Living in the UK, particularly London, is, of course, expensive compared to many other cities in the world. The cost of living depends on your tastes and habits.

Being the financial capital of the world and headquarters of many major businesses, London is expensive.

LSE broadly estimates that students should allow £1,100-£1,300 per month for all living expenses, including accommodation, travel, food, laundry, study costs, and other personal expenses. This will vary depending on your lifestyle and requirements, so it's important you do your own research.

A few tips which I would recommend to save money are

Booking ahead of Time
As rents are higher in London compared to other cities in the UK, I would recommend booking ahead of time. UniAcco has a wide range of accommodations according to the student's requirements.

Use Public Transport
Also known for its great transport links, getting around London is not that difficult. You can save time and money by using public transport. You can read in detail about the London Public Transport facilities.

Utilize your student card or youth travel card
Being a student, you are qualified for many discount offers. This includes discounted entry to museums, cinemas, and clubs. There are also special deals and discounts associated with Oyster cards.

Open a local Bank Account
If you are an international student you need easy access to funds. To avoid extravagant charges on your transactions, whether it be on cash withdrawals or card payments I would highly recommend opening an account with a local bank. In the UK withdrawing money from most of the bank’s ATM is free.

Internet Access
Being a student and a millennial, the internet is a necessity for us.
Be it for scrolling through Instagram or researching your latest assignments, the internet is an essential requirement to all.
Most of the student accommodations have WIFI included in their rent, so no need to worry about monthly payments.
If you have your own laptop, many coffee shops and pubs also have free wifi.

Food and Drinks
The cost of food varies depending on your choice of either cooking on your own or eating out. Eating out in London isn’t cheap. It is it will be more economical and wiser to buy groceries and prepare your own meals. Planning your meals is the easiest way to save money and still eat well.

In addition to the above tips, you can get a part-time job, buying your books second-hand from previous students or borrowing it from libraries.
qwerty098765432
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am a 3rd year UCL student with maximum maintenance loan and a tier 2 bursary (£2500). I was in a shared flat with a few of my friends in 2nd year and I spent £170 a week on accomodation (paid a bit less because I had the smallest room). I think provided you budget correctly and don't get takeout everyday, you should be fine. 🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads