Time seems wasted for EVERYONE in university.

Watch
Ratchet Hoe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi just a concern if mine, but I am noticing how people have been barely set any work. I am one of them. I have a two week swap so usually two weeks onsite and two weeks online. I am fortunate and how crazy does that sound? I know a lot if not most still haven't gone to their campus yet.

The fact I literally have nothing to do an that we just stay indoors and online feels like I am wasting time, and the thing is thay it is out of everyone's control. The tuition fee and maintenance part of it is not worth it and basically £75 tops right now. I am concerned for the future, and my future. Since swapping on the online aspect I feel completely unfulfilled
Abzzz57
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ratchet Hoe)
Hi just a concern if mine, but I am noticing how people have been barely set any work. I am one of them. I have a two week swap so usually two weeks onsite and two weeks online. I am fortunate and how crazy does that sound? I know a lot if not most still haven't gone to their campus yet.

The fact I literally have nothing to do an that we just stay indoors and online feels like I am wasting time, and the thing is thay it is out of everyone's control. The tuition fee and maintenance part of it is not worth it and basically £75 tops right now. I am concerned for the future, and my future. Since swapping on the online aspect I feel completely unfulfilled
Hi, mine seems to be completely the opposite to yours! I have had non-stop work for 4 weeks! However, I can understand how it can be frustrating especially if you want to be out and about and getting the whole university experience.

Maybe take the time to do extra reading, read or look for journals related to your subject, find out who the most famous author is for your course and create a set of resources you can dip into at any time. This will really help when you are suddenly overloaded with work!

Its hard with mainly everything being online! I hope it gets better for you!
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah you got ripped off but what can you do.

What are you studying?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

It's up to you what work you do for most of university. It is very different to school. You will not be spoon fed the information. You need to do your own reading and research and gain the knowledge yourself. Lecture material is really only a starting point.
Ratchet Hoe
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
It's up to you what work you do for most of university. It is very different to school. You will not be spoon fed the information. You need to do your own reading and research and gain the knowledge yourself. Lecture material is really only a starting point.
Mhm I completely understand that, but it is the fact that we literally have no actual tasks right now and if so pretty much quick to do
Ratchet Hoe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ramipril)
Yeah you got ripped off but what can you do.

What are you studying?
Design for Performance (Set design and some costume)
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mhm I completely understand that, but it is the fact that we literally have no actual tasks right now and if so pretty much quick to do
You won't always have set work to do. If you've finished the work you've been asked to do, then now's the time to do that wider reading, further research etc.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
at university you are also meant to take responsibility for your own wider exploration of your subject. That's great that you have the time to explore, especially with a creative subject like yours. watch some classic performances, go to exhibitions, build up your background knowledge. you have a university library even if you can't go in I'll bet they have access to film and documentary websites and lots of online stuff
Ratchet Hoe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
at university you are also meant to take responsibility for your own wider exploration of your subject. That's great that you have the time to explore, especially with a creative subject like yours. watch some classic performances, go to exhibitions, build up your background knowledge. you have a university library even if you can't go in I'll bet they have access to film and documentary websites and lots of online stuff
Mhm I know exactly what you mean but we do wider reading towards what exactly at the moment? You know? I am today getting a new project at 4 so at the moment I will just have to wait and see
Ratchet Hoe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abzzz57)
Hi, mine seems to be completely the opposite to yours! I have had non-stop work for 4 weeks! However, I can understand how it can be frustrating especially if you want to be out and about and getting the whole university experience.

Maybe take the time to do extra reading, read or look for journals related to your subject, find out who the most famous author is for your course and create a set of resources you can dip into at any time. This will really help when you are suddenly overloaded with work!

Its hard with mainly everything being online! I hope it gets better for you!
I know like I was talking to a friend who has doint an extra year of college and she has much more work compared to me! I am very much seeing whether I can do voluntary work related to my course but outside of the university to fill up the time that I have. We have journals and I usually write my not4mes and what we have done in the course but I think it is also the fact that it is practical aswell which makes things have no structure. The journal thing does not take long exactly at all too since it it your own personal way of writing which isn't a bad thing at all but there is not much structure at all! I don't think many would cope if this continues after Christmas but I like the area at the same time. No opportunities in my hometown
Abzzz57
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know like I was talking to a friend who has doint an extra year of college and she has much more work compared to me! I am very much seeing whether I can do voluntary work related to my course but outside of the university to fill up the time that I have. We have journals and I usually write my not4mes and what we have done in the course but I think it is also the fact that it is practical aswell which makes things have no structure. The journal thing does not take long exactly at all too since it it your own personal way of writing which isn't a bad thing at all but there is not much structure at all! I don't think many would cope if this continues after Christmas but I like the area at the same time. No opportunities in my hometown
Volunteering sounds like a fab idea! Maybe look for a part time job as well? What have other people on your course said? It might be worth speaking to people who are in 2nd year and find out if it was a slow start for them as well in 1st year!
Ratchet Hoe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abzzz57)
Volunteering sounds like a fab idea! Maybe look for a part time job as well? What have other people on your course said? It might be worth speaking to people who are in 2nd year and find out if it was a slow start for them as well in 1st year!
I've got a response from the placement office and they haven't got one specifically for my course at the moment but if there are others that I might be interesting they will inform me. And I was thinking about a part time job too, it is just the Covid era at the moment and the paranoia of it all! I'd like something that links with my course though! People on my course don't specifically talk about work placement since I think I am the first one to express it but many have mentioned how they don't have a lot too. I know someone who is doing a masters but in there 2nd year and it was definitely more busy pre-covid. We have a practiontiner project too which is a group project so will be quite busy now, but I'd like to fo even a weekend work placement at the same time since it will be beneficial but I don't know if it is possible
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (99)
28.37%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.89%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (67)
19.2%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (37)
10.6%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
28.94%

Watched Threads