vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
this is what my textbook says about diffraction in TV dishes:
the bigger the dish, the stronger the signal it can receive, cuz more radio waves are reflected by the dish onto the Ariel. BUT a bigger dish reflects the radio waves to a smaller focus cuz it diffracts the waves less. The dish, therefore, needs to be aligned more carefully than a smaller dish, otherwise it will not focus the radio waves onto the ariel.

i don't understand how a bigger dish refracts the waves less? and how this means that it diffracts to a smaller focus? please could someone explain this
lucy131213
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
this is what my textbook says about diffraction in TV dishes:
the bigger the dish, the stronger the signal it can receive, cuz more radio waves are reflected by the dish onto the Ariel. BUT a bigger dish reflects the radio waves to a smaller focus cuz it diffracts the waves less. The dish, therefore, needs to be aligned more carefully than a smaller dish, otherwise it will not focus the radio waves onto the ariel.

i don't understand how a bigger dish refracts the waves less? and how this means that it diffracts to a smaller focus? please could someone explain this
Hi, I don't know what you've learnt up to in class but you can link this to diffraction through single/double slits. Its a similar concept I think. A bigger dish refracts the waves less just like a wider slit will diffract the waves less. When I was taught this I found it helpful to think about how a bigger slit/dish means its easier for the wave to get through so less diffraction will occur. In terms of the smaller focus, as the wave is now diffracted less its more intense/ less spread out and therefore is needs to be adjusted more carefully.
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by lucy131213)
Hi, I don't know what you've learnt up to in class but you can link this to diffraction through single/double slits. Its a similar concept I think. A bigger dish refracts the waves less just like a wider slit will diffract the waves less. When I was taught this I found it helpful to think about how a bigger slit/dish means its easier for the wave to get through so less diffraction will occur. In terms of the smaller focus, as the wave is now diffracted less its more intense/ less spread out and therefore is needs to be adjusted more carefully.
oooooh
makes sense now, tysm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads