pink00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can I put a quote in my introduction ?

This is my first essay I’m writing for uni and it’s 50% of my grade !!!!!! Also I’ve never done sociology before
Native087
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can do, but be brief in analysis. Use quotes to support your setting of the scene. Also depends on what type of essay you are doing? If it is a scientific article, quotes are used often in the Abstract or introduction.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by pink00)
Can I put a quote in my introduction ?

This is my first essay I’m writing for uni and it’s 50% of my grade !!!!!! Also I’ve never done sociology before
Yes you can, although I would suggest a figure or something 100% factual as a way to introduce and set the scene of your subject rather than a long quote of someone else's words that will overshadow yours. I would recommend referencing the key sociologists you're going to talk about, but if you do include quotes, make sure they are in-text quotes - a short quote you can fit into your own sentence. This is what will get you higher marks in a Sociology degree

Sophie - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads