how to manage my free time effectively?

Watch
Computerbot212
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello I'm 16 female,

I have multiple medical conditions that cause pain and fatigue due I'm wondering how should I manage my free periods in highschool. I dropped a couple subjects

The free time is supposed to be used for catching up on work and resting/sleeping

I go to an empty room were I'm able to lie down but also work

How should I manage this time?
netflix84
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Computerbot212)
Hello I'm 16 female,

I have multiple medical conditions that cause pain and fatigue due I'm wondering how should I manage my free periods in highschool. I dropped a couple subjects

The free time is supposed to be used for catching up on work and resting/sleeping

I go to an empty room were I'm able to lie down but also work

How should I manage this time?
working would ensure that you keep up with school, but it's essential that you lay down and maybe listen to some music or sleep.
you should also find a good routine and fall into it- not breaking any rules- to get your body used to everything.
a good diet and being mentally aware will also keep you in good health.
don't want to push it, but can I just asked what caused the illnesses?- it might help to figure out how you need to make a new routine.
nevertheless, I hope you get better and catch a break, I'm 16 too and school is really a pain in the ass.
Computerbot212
Rep:
?
(Original post by netflix84)
working would ensure that you keep up with school, but it's essential that you lay down and maybe listen to some music or sleep.
you should also find a good routine and fall into it- not breaking any rules- to get your body used to everything.
a good diet and being mentally aware will also keep you in good health.
don't want to push it, but can I just asked what caused the illnesses?- it might help to figure out how you need to make a new routine.
nevertheless, I hope you get better and catch a break, I'm 16 too and school is really a pain in the ass.
Cerebral palsy and other chronic conditions
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depends. I was suggested to do a traffic light system by one of my physiotherapists who worked in a rehab facility, e.g. Red means it takes a lot of energy and/or causes a lot of pain, green means it doesn't take much/any energy and/or doesn't worsen my pain too much. Yellow is somewhere in the middle. You might find it easier to do something like that. Also separating things out, more intensive tasks at the end of the day where possible, etc. Making sure you take breaks when you find your faitgue/pain getting worse is also important, even if you don't typically have issues during a specific task, etc.

Sorry, this might be too vague, if you need me to expand on anything, let me know.
Computerbot212
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
Depends. I was suggested to do a traffic light system by one of my physiotherapists who worked in a rehab facility, e.g. Red means it takes a lot of energy and/or causes a lot of pain, green means it doesn't take much/any energy and/or doesn't worsen my pain too much. Yellow is somewhere in the middle. You might find it easier to do something like that. Also separating things out, more intensive tasks at the end of the day where possible, etc. Making sure you take breaks when you find your faitgue/pain getting worse is also important, even if you don't typically have issues during a specific task, etc.

Sorry, this might be too vague, if you need me to expand on anything, let me know.
what is the best amount of time to nap for? would short naps with work in between or a long nap and how long should I nap for?
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what is the best amount of time to nap for? would short naps with work in between or a long nap and how long should I nap for?
I try to refrain from napping as I find it makes me feel more fatigued and causes more issues with sleeping at the end of the day, resting =/= napping. Resting just means you're doing something that takes less from you either mentally or physically (or both!).
netflix84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Cerebral palsy and other chronic conditions
ah ok
i think you just gotta pace yourself a little. i don't know a lot about it but i know it can vary from mild to extreme and affects limbs and such. respectively, you have to not exert yourself too much (physically and mentally) and take frequent breaks. by breaks, i don't mean sleep, as this will affect your sleeping patterns at night- as somebody said before, but laying down occasionally will only help. of course if some days you feel exhausted, and have the time to spare, just head to bed a few hours early to give your body time to rest.
i wish i could be more help, but idk much about chronic conditions : (
Computerbot212
Rep:
?
(Original post by netflix84)
ah ok
i think you just gotta pace yourself a little. i don't know a lot about it but i know it can vary from mild to extreme and affects limbs and such. respectively, you have to not exert yourself too much (physically and mentally) and take frequent breaks. by breaks, i don't mean sleep, as this will affect your sleeping patterns at night- as somebody said before, but laying down occasionally will only help. of course if some days you feel exhausted, and have the time to spare, just head to bed a few hours early to give your body time to rest.
i wish i could be more help, but idk much about chronic conditions : (
lying down and napping helps reduce the pain
josie71202
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You know yourself better than anyone. I'd probably mix it up each week depending on how I feel but you know your body. Feel free to PM me or message me here about this, I'm 17 and have a rare condition that affects my muscles so I understand to an extent
netflix84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lying down and napping helps reduce the pain
you should do that then- just not for too long so you don't feel awake at night
an hour or two a day should be okay
BluMoon06
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How long are your free periods?
Computerbot212
Rep:
?
(Original post by BluMoon06)
How long are your free periods?
3 hours a week

1 hour free one day

2 hour free the next day
BluMoon06
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
3 hours a week

1 hour free one day

2 hour free the next day
Okay 15-20mins work, 5mins rest
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (901)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (398)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.42%

Watched Threads