The Student Room Group

What makes someone charismatic/popular?

Is it the things you say to people (being kind, showing them you care about what they have to say, being witty/ funny)?
Is it how good looking you are?
Is it your talents, intelligence and achievements which impress people and make them care about what you have to say?
Is it creating some kind of exclusive club/ clique around yourself?
Is it some other personal characteristic like being very confident and outgoing?
How does someone become more popular and respected at school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Is it the things you say to people (being kind, showing them you care about what they have to say, being witty/ funny)?
Is it your talents, intelligence and achievements which impress people and make them care about what you have to say?
Is it some other personal characteristic like being very confident and outgoing?

It's a combination of some or all of the aforementioned traits, apart from this one "Is it creating some kind of exclusive club/ clique around yourself?"
Popular people are popular with everyone, not just their exclusive friends.

Why are you asking though?
Understanding that most people just want genuine affection and using that to your advantage by confident leadership.
Reply 3

Well express your talent and try to have a good time
Reply 4
Original post by jacobf91
It's a combination of some or all of the aforementioned traits, apart from this one "Is it creating some kind of exclusive club/ clique around yourself?"
Popular people are popular with everyone, not just their exclusive friends.

Why are you asking though?

psychology hw, I'm trying to come up with some factors to survey among my year group

Looking at how 'charismatic' yet controversial figures in history have done it I would say it is all of these things. Look at the case of Hitler. His charisma is said to have been the reason for the German people accepted Nazism. The reality I think is that people have convinced themselves of this to absolve themselves of war-guilt, and while he was charismatic his thoughts and feelings were shared a lot more widely by the German population than they cared to admit.

It is being kind to people but also being kind to the right people, willingness to be nasty when standing your ground also attracts a level of respect and fear.

Being good looking is a highly desirable quality, and studies into the Halo effect have shown good looking people get it easier, cult leaders often cultivate an image of themselves putting the most flattering pictures on propaganda pieces.

It is not so much your talents, intelligence and achievements so much as people's perceptions of these, this ties into creating some exclusive club/clique around yourself. It is easy to have an idealistic view of someone you have never met. Cultivating a sense of mystery and not allowing anyone to be too close to you allows you to take advantage of people filling in the gaps.

Being confident enough to elucidate a clear view is the number one reason in my opinion, people with low self-esteem are drawn to those who can impose a domineering structure where they feel a sense of empowerment.
I think could be their personality
Reply 7
Original post by tashkent46
Looking at how 'charismatic' yet controversial figures in history have done it I would say it is all of these things. Look at the case of Hitler. His charisma is said to have been the reason for the German people accepted Nazism. The reality I think is that people have convinced themselves of this to absolve themselves of war-guilt, and while he was charismatic his thoughts and feelings were shared a lot more widely by the German population than they cared to admit.

It is being kind to people but also being kind to the right people, willingness to be nasty when standing your ground also attracts a level of respect and fear.

Being good looking is a highly desirable quality, and studies into the Halo effect have shown good looking people get it easier, cult leaders often cultivate an image of themselves putting the most flattering pictures on propaganda pieces.

It is not so much your talents, intelligence and achievements so much as people's perceptions of these, this ties into creating some exclusive club/clique around yourself. It is easy to have an idealistic view of someone you have never met. Cultivating a sense of mystery and not allowing anyone to be too close to you allows you to take advantage of people filling in the gaps.

Being confident enough to elucidate a clear view is the number one reason in my opinion, people with low self-esteem are drawn to those who can impose a domineering structure where they feel a sense of empowerment.

Wow very articulate answer - have you considered a career as a propagandist?
Reply 8
Original post by KAy1a.2021
I think could be their personality

yes I think that could be a factor
Reply 9
any other ideas?
Original post by TSKR
Well express your talent and try to have a good time

ofc u gunna say that - ur obsessed with urself and think ur a model guy cuz u make music, play sports and have fangirls lmaoooooo 😂😂😂

(jk jk dont get heartbroken lmaoooo)
It's an elusive quality that make someone sparkle and then is reinforced by people making a buzz about that person. Look at cheryl cole she was once seen as the golden girl who could do no wrong, but now it's like a husk and it's hard to see what people ever saw...so partly it is an illusion I think and good looks help.
It is a person who makes others feel better about themselves and the time they spend, and therefore, incites them to want more of that person's company.

That can happen for many reasons. They may be stern but inspirational. They may be fascinating conversationalists with a trove of real-world information. They may have experienced things in life that awe us and from which we want to learn. They may be total experts in their field to the degree that even if the subject is boring their command of it is fascinating. I met a trainspotter anorak dude who was like this on my course in the UK...would never have bet he'd be charismatic but somehow he was.

Or.... they may just look very HOTT :tongue:
Luck.
yes I think that could be a factor

Well yeah
One of life's mysteries.
Reply 16
Original post by M_Zara
ofc u gunna say that - ur obsessed with urself and think ur a model guy cuz u make music, play sports and have fangirls lmaoooooo 😂😂😂

(jk jk dont get heartbroken lmaoooo)

I am trying to help the guy and also I swear one of these days if you don’t stop ima report you and @Lewis_Shefffield
Original post by TSKR
I am trying to help the guy and also I swear one of these days if you don’t stop ima report you and @Lewis_Shefffield

wowwwww im just kidding g
dont acc report us lmaooo
Original post by TSKR

Well im with slytherinsoul lol thats why im asking but ill stop then lmfao
Original post by Lewis_Shefffield
Well im with slytherinsoul lol thats why im asking but ill stop then lmfao

awwww the girl just wants to kno if u like her back dont be peak :frown: @TSKR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending