Can i still get into Oxbridge/ Russel groups with my gcse grades?

Watch
russelunihopeful
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m really hoping someone can help me with this because it’s been stressing me out to no end. I missed out on actually doing my GCSEs due to corona virus this year, and the grades i received i was super unhappy with and felt didn’t justify me at all. My dream is to go to Cambridge but if i can’t do that i’m set on other Russel groups but at this point i’m not even sure if i can do that My A Levels are psychology, sociology and geography. My GCSEs were as follows:
English lit 6
English language 7
Maths 7
Biology (which I’m retaking in November) 6
Chemistry 6
Physics 6
Spanish 5
Geography 8
Psychology 8
Food tech 9
Does anyone know if this would work? I also take CeFS and would that increase my chances of getting in despite having non-RG GCSEs? Any replies would be so helpful ))
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by russelunihopeful)
I’m really hoping someone can help me with this because it’s been stressing me out to no end. I missed out on actually doing my GCSEs due to corona virus this year, and the grades i received i was super unhappy with and felt didn’t justify me at all. My dream is to go to Cambridge but if i can’t do that i’m set on other Russel groups but at this point i’m not even sure if i can do that My A Levels are psychology, sociology and geography. My GCSEs were as follows:
English lit 6
English language 7
Maths 7
Chemistry 6
Physics 6
Spanish 5
Geography 8
Psychology 8
Food tech 9
Does anyone know if this would work? I also take CeFS and would that increase my chances of getting in despite having non-RG GCSEs? Any replies would be so helpful ))
You dont state for which subject but the general advice is that you wont have any problems. Only Oxford and LSE tend to look closely for GCSEs. You meet the entry requirements for nearly every other university. Cambridge is likely to be competitive but other universities including RG ones usually will accept you. Check the entry requirements before applying. Why are you taking the Biology exam as it is pointless. Dont just look at the Russell Group. There are universities outside it every bit as good. . The RG is just a marketing group. It is nothing else.
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
English lit 6
English language 7
Maths 7
Chemistry 6
Physics 6
Spanish 5
Geography 8
Psychology 8
Food tech 9
just out of interest - why Russell Group ?
russelunihopeful
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
You dont state for which subject but the general advice is that you wont have any problems. Only Oxford and LSE tend to look closely for GCSEs. You meet the entry requirements for nearly every other university. Cambridge is likely to be competitive but other universities including RG ones usually will accept you. Check the entry requirements before applying. Why are you taking the Biology exam as it is pointless. Dont just look at the Russell Group. There are universities outside it every bit as good. . The RG is just a marketing group. It is nothing else.
tysm for replying!! the subject i’m thinking of taking is psychology or criminology because i think i want to be a forensic psychologist. i’m retaking bio because i was really disappointed in all of my sciences but bio most as i was predicted an 8 at the beginning of the year and wanted to prove myself, i also thought i needed to have a 7 in bio in order to take psychology at oxbridge but that’s just going off of what my teacher told me. i understand the RG argument, it’s just something i’ve wanted for a very long time you said cambridge would be competitive which i’m obviously aware of, but benefit of the doubt do you think they’d let me in with these grades if i got A*/A/A ?
russelunihopeful
Rep:
?
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
just out of interest - why Russell Group ?
A vain reason if i’m honest, it’s been my label to be the first in my immediate and one of the first in my extended family to go to university, and i’ve always had very high expectations placed upon me. i also go to an extremely competitive school, it’s the leading grammar in my county, and since year 7 it’s been a dream to go to Cambridge. it would be ignorant of me to assume i’d get in though, so i’ve just stuck with the idea of “RG unis” in general? i also feel like they just fit with me well, being around people who are serious and dedicated, not that it wouldn’t be the case at non RGs, but i feel education will be valued more highly at these places instead. besides, in the least classist way possible a name is a name right? who wouldn’t want to aim big thank you so much for replying!!
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A vain reason if i’m honest, it’s been my label to be the first in my immediate and one of the first in my extended family to go to university, and i’ve always had very high expectations placed upon me. i also go to an extremely competitive school, it’s the leading grammar in my county, and since year 7 it’s been a dream to go to Cambridge. it would be ignorant of me to assume i’d get in though, so i’ve just stuck with the idea of “RG unis” in general? i also feel like they just fit with me well, being around people who are serious and dedicated, not that it wouldn’t be the case at non RGs, but i feel education will be valued more highly at these places instead. besides, in the least classist way possible a name is a name right? who wouldn’t want to aim big thank you so much for replying!!
well apparently teaching and student support is better at non-RGs or so I have heard as they actually focus on teaching rather their own research......

what about the 1994 group of unis ? or the old polytechnic unis ? or the red brick unis ? or the "non-RGs" that have a "good rep" like St Andrews, Lancaster and Bath/Dundee/Aberdeen/Oxford Brookes/Strathclyde/Napier etc. ?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As far as Cambridge is concerned I dont think anyone can answer whether you will get in or not. The only way to find out is to apply. Most Cambridge courses are over subscribed so the odds are probably against. Most Russell Group universities accept more than they reject.

As far as RG universities are concerned they are no better than many other universities. Durham, Exeter, York and Queen Mary used to be in the 1994 group with the likes of Bath, Lancaster and East Anglia before joining the RG. The universities havent really changed through joining or not the RG. It is a pointless thing to look at. It is a marketing body looking to protect a number of universities interest.
russelunihopeful
Rep:
?
well apparently teaching and student support is better at non-RGs or so I have heard as they actually focus on teaching rather their own research......

what about the 1994 group of unis ? or the old polytechnic unis ? or the red brick unis ? or the "non-RGs" that have a "good rep" like St Andrews, Lancaster and Bath/Dundee/Aberdeen/Oxford Brookes/Strathclyde/Napier etc. ?
i’ve never actually heard of “old polytechnic unis” or “red brick unis” so i’ll look into that right now. i have my eye on bath as the only non RG on my list so to say, so if i didn’t get into oxbridge or bristol i’d want to apply there. i visited Cambridge and it is still my dream though, so try as i might i still really want to go i have to look into the ones you said though.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would certainly be looking into Bath and Lancaster to see if they suit you.
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i’ve never actually heard of “old polytechnic unis” or “red brick unis” so i’ll look into that right now. i have my eye on bath as the only non RG on my list so to say, so if i didn’t get into oxbridge or bristol i’d want to apply there. i visited Cambridge and it is still my dream though, so try as i might i still really want to go i have to look into the ones you said though.
Russell Group = Research not better in any way and listen to what swanseajack1 said about RG
research is also a post-grad thing more than an under-grad thing

I mean you don't have to - I was just proving a point that the name doesn't really mean much - think for most jobs they don't care about your unis name and care whether you have a degree or the transferable skills
russelunihopeful
Rep:
?
As far as Cambridge is concerned I dont think anyone can answer whether you will get in or not. The only way to find out is to apply. Most Cambridge courses are over subscribed so the odds are probably against. Most Russell Group universities accept more than they reject.

As far as RG universities are concerned they are no better than many other universities. Durham, Exeter, York and Queen Mary used to be in the 1994 group with the likes of Bath, Lancaster and East Anglia before joining the RG. The universities havent really changed through joining or not the RG. It is a pointless thing to look at. It is a marketing body looking to protect a number of universities interest.
100% agree with you on oversubscription, let’s just hope the odds are in my favour. i’m really considering bath too, the only non RG on my “list” but i’ll look into the others too!
russelunihopeful
Rep:
?
I would certainly be looking into Bath and Lancaster to see if they suit you.
thank you🥺 will do asap
russelunihopeful
Rep:
?
Russell Group = Research not better in any way and listen to what swanseajack1 said about RG
research is also a post-grad thing more than an under-grad thing

I mean you don't have to - I was just proving a point that the name doesn't really mean much - think for most jobs they don't care about your unis name and care whether you have a degree or the transferable skills
the under/post-grad point is really helpful and something i hadn’t thought about, you’re right. yeah of course, the name is really only for my sake at this point.
ashtolga23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There are universities probably performing better than Russell Group ones that just don't hold the title, eg. St Andrews and Lancaster. I get why you'd be focused on it though, because at first to me they seemed so prestigious and like they must be better than other universities, and it took me visiting Lancaster to change my perspective on that.

As for the grades, they really aren't bad. Oxford are also one of the only universities I know to pay that much attention, so Cambridge and Russell Group unis will be fine. You're not at a disadvantage.
russelunihopeful
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashtolga23)
There are universities probably performing better than Russell Group ones that just don't hold the title, eg. St Andrews and Lancaster. I get why you'd be focused on it though, because at first to me they seemed so prestigious and like they must be better than other universities, and it took me visiting Lancaster to change my perspective on that.

As for the grades, they really aren't bad. Oxford are also one of the only universities I know to pay that much attention, so Cambridge and Russell Group unis will be fine. You're not at a disadvantage.
precisely!! i looked at Lancaster last night as someone else recommended it too, looks great! definitely worth a visit on my part. that’s given me a lot of hope about most not looking into it too much, it’s been stressing me out so much thinking that all my hard work could be for nothing and that my future could be decided on a test i didn’t get to take thank you so much for your reply!
ashtolga23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
precisely!! i looked at Lancaster last night as someone else recommended it too, looks great! definitely worth a visit on my part. that’s given me a lot of hope about most not looking into it too much, it’s been stressing me out so much thinking that all my hard work could be for nothing and that my future could be decided on a test i didn’t get to take thank you so much for your reply!
It's no problem! Lancaster is a really beautiful place and everyone I spoke to (both at the university and getting taxis around the place) was absolutely lovely. It seems like a really safe place too which is important to me.

Best of luck in everything!
North London1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just to add that St Andrews Uni (1st in Scotland, 2nd in the UK according to 2 different tables) isn't a Russell Group Uni due to it's size. It is almost always voted the uni with highest student satisfaction ratings in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (715)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (904)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads