Guest Lecture - Black history and self-determination in women

Watch
Flipping Nora
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago

Shakira Martin, the first Black female president of the NUS, discusses Black history and self-determination in women. She talks about her journey in education and how she overcame obstacles, challenges and stereotypes.

Shakira is Head of Student Experience at Rose Bruford College and was President of the National Union of Students (2017-2019). She sits on a number of educational boards and her interests are inclusion, equality and diversity and how we make education accessible for all within post-16 education.

For this year's Black History Month, we're sharing perspectives and resources to help create positive change on TSR, and hopefully in the wider world.

Moderation note: All Black History Month threads are monitored by our moderation team. Please remember to keep all posts within community guidelines. Racism will not be tolerated. If you see anything you think might break the rules, please report it. If someone you suspect is a troll engages in the thread, do not reply (even to call them a troll), just report. This thread is for positive conversation and learning. You can learn more about Black History Month here.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Flipping Nora)

Shakira Martin, the first Black female president of the NUS, discusses Black history and self-determination in women. She talks about her journey in education and how she overcame obstacles, challenges and stereotypes.

Shakira is Head of Student Experience at Rose Bruford College and was President of the National Union of Students (2017-2019). She sits on a number of educational boards and her interests are inclusion, equality and diversity and how we make education accessible for all within post-16 education.

For this year's Black History Month, we're sharing perspectives and resources to help create positive change on TSR, and hopefully in the wider world.

Moderation note: All Black History Month threads are monitored by our moderation team. Please remember to keep all posts within community guidelines. Racism will not be tolerated. If you see anything you think might break the rules, please report it. If someone you suspect is a troll engages in the thread, do not reply (even to call them a troll), just report. This thread is for positive conversation and learning. You can learn more about Black History Month here.
This video is so empowering and I hope it encourages many, many black women on TSR, whatever you are planning to do in life.

Yes, there is a choice, and Shakira has chosen the difficult, but so worthwhile route of determination and hard work. Making this choice has paid off, and it can for whoever watches this video.

Sometimes it is easy to despair during these tough Covid-19 times, but keep powering through, keep holding onto your dreams. Never give up hope.

It's so great to see that Shakira wants to pass her inspiring message when and where it is needed most - to young people who are on the brink of life, and who are looking for role models. I feel that she is in exactly the right job.

It fills me with hope that someone who is watching this video today will be given the impetus to reach for the stars, and maybe end up on the top table of power. Shakira has proved to us that this is possible.

And thank you, TSR, for helping students worldwide to get support and encouragement right here, both in general and by posting this video yesterday. You and Shakira are the perfect fit.

Thank you, Shakira, for making my morning and being completely and utterly awesome.

Obolinda
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Anybody from a BAME background (male or female) who is interested in Oxbridge, please find a link to this excellent scheme:

https://targetoxbridge.co.uk/#section-3

If you are bright and keen on your subject, why not go for it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (479)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (590)
41.32%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (294)
20.59%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (65)
4.55%

Watched Threads