a level options - history or psychology

Watch
neney
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i'm in year 11 right now and i'm stuck between choosing history or psychology. i know that i roughly want a career in maths and/or computer science and i'm definite in taking those two for a level however i'm not sure about the third choice.

both have nothing to do with my actual job i would like to do but my parents said they would prefer me to do history.
i'm quite good at history at gcse level and have been around 8s since the start of year 10. however, the topics in history they offer at the college i want to go to don't really interest me. i also looked through some a level past papers and they don't really interest me either.

i've never taken psychology as a gcse but i'm able to take it for a level. it interests me much more than history. i like how it also has some maths involved with it too. however, i have no idea why but i can't imagine myself doing psychology for a levels and my gut is telling me to pick history. i'm not sure what to do TT

please give me your opinions ((:
uktalha
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey Neney!

So as you've already suggested they both wouldn't have much weighting in terms of applying for your future goals.

I would however, to be on the safe side just check through any courses you'd like to apply as specific universities to double check their requirements and see whether you actually may need a third subject other than I presume comp sci/physics/maths.

Secondly, the combination I explained above of comp sci/physics/maths would actually place you within a really comfortable position to decide whether you wish to study comp sci or maths or even engineering etc. That trio would open a lot of doors for you when you apply in two years times, allowing you to relax and focus on your a levels.

In regards to the history or psychology, look in my opinion A levels are hard enough and if your third subject can be anything just choose what you'll fined the most easiest and importantly interesting. You don't want to punish yourself with a subject which you don't enjoy just to statisfy your parents especially if you don't need it. Example, I know many people who applied to medicine and chose maths, they hated maths but chose it to fit certain criteria. Fortuntately, you don't need force a third a level on yourself so I would just research the specs and content of each and choose what you think you can smash in those final A levels

I know this isn't me telling you the best option but it's really a case of what you'll do best in/need and balancing how much you'll enjoy it

Best of Luck,

Talha

If you got any more questions feel free to ask on my instagram @UKTALHA
apolaroidofus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A lot of universities actually ask for further maths if you want to do maths, and at the very least prefer it if you're applying for computer science. As the poster above mentioned, physics would probably also be a better third subject to take. As long as you're aware of this and would still rather take history/psychology, I suggest asking your college which exam board you do for each subject and looking at some past papers/the specification - I'm also in year 11 and have just applied to college (for maths, further maths, physics and chemistry) and this was one of the things I found most helpful when deciding what to take! It's also interesting to look at the textbooks on Amazon and see what you think. If you're still uncertain, most schools/colleges will let you change, either on results day or a couple weeks after having started your course so you have plenty of time. Good luck
uktalha
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Taking Physics A level was one of my best life choices - absolutely loved it!
neney
Rep:
?
(Original post by uktalha)
Hey Neney!

So as you've already suggested they both wouldn't have much weighting in terms of applying for your future goals.

I would however, to be on the safe side just check through any courses you'd like to apply as specific universities to double check their requirements and see whether you actually may need a third subject other than I presume comp sci/physics/maths.

Secondly, the combination I explained above of comp sci/physics/maths would actually place you within a really comfortable position to decide whether you wish to study comp sci or maths or even engineering etc. That trio would open a lot of doors for you when you apply in two years times, allowing you to relax and focus on your a levels.

In regards to the history or psychology, look in my opinion A levels are hard enough and if your third subject can be anything just choose what you'll fined the most easiest and importantly interesting. You don't want to punish yourself with a subject which you don't enjoy just to statisfy your parents especially if you don't need it. Example, I know many people who applied to medicine and chose maths, they hated maths but chose it to fit certain criteria. Fortuntately, you don't need force a third a level on yourself so I would just research the specs and content of each and choose what you think you can smash in those final A levels

I know this isn't me telling you the best option but it's really a case of what you'll do best in/need and balancing how much you'll enjoy it

Best of Luck,

Talha

If you got any more questions feel free to ask on my instagram @UKTALHA
thank you for reading my long text haha.

yess, i used to consider physics as throughout year 10 i've been getting 8s but recently in my year 11 mock i just scraped a 6 so i was only a few marks away from a 5 which really put me down for physics. i keep telling myself that it's just mocks but still got quite disappointed over it. hopefully in my next set of mocks i'll do better in physics since it is one of the most enjoyable sciences imo.

thank you for your reply!
neney
Rep:
?
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
A lot of universities actually ask for further maths if you want to do maths, and at the very least prefer it if you're applying for computer science. As the poster above mentioned, physics would probably also be a better third subject to take. As long as you're aware of this and would still rather take history/psychology, I suggest asking your college which exam board you do for each subject and looking at some past papers/the specification - I'm also in year 11 and have just applied to college (for maths, further maths, physics and chemistry) and this was one of the things I found most helpful when deciding what to take! It's also interesting to look at the textbooks on Amazon and see what you think. If you're still uncertain, most schools/colleges will let you change, either on results day or a couple weeks after having started your course so you have plenty of time. Good luck
thank you for reminding me! yes, i've just checked and it does T.T
i've been looking through courses i would be interested in and some unis offer a course on maths and computer sci in one which really fascinates me (: i know for sure (95%) that i wouldn't solely study maths so i don't think i would need to take further maths.

really? wow! that makes me really relieved that we can change it. for now, i think i'll pick maths, computer sci and history. i would pick physics since it's the most enjoyable science imo and i've gotten grade 8s throughout year 10 however in my recent mock i just scraped a 6 (only few marks away from 5) making physics towards the bottom of the subjects i'm considering.

let's both do our best on our gcses then huhu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.55%

Watched Threads