mkaydoris
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I need some help with witing my personal statement, i have no clue how to start it or what to write. I've done the worst thing and left writing my personal statement until the last minute because one of my application deadlines is tomorrow.
I'm looking to do physics, maths and further maths at alevel because i want to do computer science at uni. I've seen people mentioning to write about the work experience you've done but i worked at a pharmacy and have no clue how that would apply to what i want to study.
Does anyone have any tips on what to include or what type of structure i could follow?

edit: just realised i posted this in the wrong forum so oops
Last edited by mkaydoris; 1 month ago
anisha211
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mkaydoris)
I need some help with witing my personal statement, i have no clue how to start it or what to write. I've done the worst thing and left writing my personal statement until the last minute because one of my application deadlines is tomorrow.
I'm looking to do physics, maths and further maths at alevel because i want to do computer science at uni. I've seen people mentioning to write about the work experience you've done but i worked at a pharmacy and have no clue how that would apply to what i want to study.
Does anyone have any tips on what to include or what type of structure i could follow?

edit: just realised i posted this in the wrong forum so oops
Hey! So this is the structure that my teacher has told our year group to follow for our PS:

paragraph 1 - don’t kill your brain cells by trying to think for something extremely extraordinary. write something catchy and decently sized (5 - 6 sentences). you could write about what has inspired you to do comp sci at uni? was it a workshop? was it a teacher's rant? short and sweet. you could also add in an extra paragraph by breaking your intro into 2 - one part can be about why comp sci is a good degree and part 2 about what motivated you

paragraph 2 - why your a-levels are a good choice for comp sci. what makes them relevant, how are the helping you expand your knowledge on computing. you can talk about a specific lesson or an entire unit. for example I want to do aero engineering so I wrote about how kinematics was my favourite part about physics. talk about each subject briefly - 3 sentences max.

paragraph 3 - extracurricular relevant to your course any workshops that you have done, been part of a presentation, CREST awards, MOOCs, online courses. what have you learned from these ECs that has expanded your understanding

paragraph 4 - extracurriculars not relevant. here you could talk about your work experience at a pharmacy and any other hobbies you have. any awards you have received that show transferable skills like communication and team working

paragraph 5 - conclusion/ending. again keep it short, sweet and to the point. why should you be chosen, what makes you the ideal candidate

Long answer but hope this helps 😁
mkaydoris
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by anisha211)
Hey! So this is the structure that my teacher has told our year group to follow for our PS:

paragraph 1 - don’t kill your brain cells by trying to think for something extremely extraordinary. write something catchy and decently sized (5 - 6 sentences). you could write about what has inspired you to do comp sci at uni? was it a workshop? was it a teacher's rant? short and sweet. you could also add in an extra paragraph by breaking your intro into 2 - one part can be about why comp sci is a good degree and part 2 about what motivated you

paragraph 2 - why your a-levels are a good choice for comp sci. what makes them relevant, how are the helping you expand your knowledge on computing. you can talk about a specific lesson or an entire unit. for example I want to do aero engineering so I wrote about how kinematics was my favourite part about physics. talk about each subject briefly - 3 sentences max.

paragraph 3 - extracurricular relevant to your course any workshops that you have done, been part of a presentation, CREST awards, MOOCs, online courses. what have you learned from these ECs that has expanded your understanding

paragraph 4 - extracurriculars not relevant. here you could talk about your work experience at a pharmacy and any other hobbies you have. any awards you have received that show transferable skills like communication and team working

paragraph 5 - conclusion/ending. again keep it short, sweet and to the point. why should you be chosen, what makes you the ideal candidate

Long answer but hope this helps 😁
Thanks for the advice!! (:
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mkaydoris)
Thanks for the advice!! (:
Check out the guidance here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6666418

I don't know what application deadline you're talking about - the deadlines are either 15th Oct or 15th January?
mkaydoris
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Interrobang)
Check out the guidance here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6666418

I don't know what application deadline you're talking about - the deadlines are either 15th Oct or 15th January?
i realised that i posted this in the wrong forum. i had an application due for a 6th form that i needed a personal statement for, not uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (99)
28.53%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.97%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (67)
19.31%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.11%

Watched Threads