beetrootsalad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm applying for a subjects that jump around about a bit, including: design and craft, game design, architecture, and general engineering/engineering design (same thing different name, unis are weird) but i can only have one personal statement. Any ideas how to manage this?
Penny456
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by beetrootsalad)
I'm applying for a subjects that jump around about a bit, including: design and craft, game design, architecture, and general engineering/engineering design (same thing different name, unis are weird) but i can only have one personal statement. Any ideas how to manage this?
Try and mention all of the skills that you have without referring to any course in particular, so don't be all like 'My interest in architecture was reinforced by...' just speak in general and say 'my interest in design was reinforced by...'. All of the courses you're applying for are very creative and somewhat mathematical so just focus on that type of thing. Don't forget to really show you're interested by providing evidence!! (books, lectures, etc)
beetrootsalad
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Penny456)
Try and mention all of the skills that you have without referring to any course in particular, so don't be all like 'My interest in architecture was reinforced by...' just speak in general and say 'my interest in design was reinforced by...'. All of the courses you're applying for are very creative and somewhat mathematical so just focus on that type of thing. Don't forget to really show you're interested by providing evidence!! (books, lectures, etc)
that's really smart! thank you so much, you're a star 🌟
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya!

This is a good question! I can forward you to our "ask me anything" thread for Personal Statement Queries ran by our Student recruitment team at the university! They've seen thousands of personal statements and have lots of great tips that they can help you with!

This is the link- https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post91660288.

The thread closes today!

Sam- Official Student Rep
beetrootsalad
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hiya!

This is a good question! I can forward you to our "ask me anything" thread for Personal Statement Queries ran by our Student recruitment team at the university! They've seen thousands of personal statements and have lots of great tips that they can help you with!

This is the link- https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post91660288.

The thread closes today!

Sam- Official Student Rep
Thank-you Sam, I'll go ask there
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
that's really smart! thank you so much, you're a star 🌟
Having read PSs that do this sort of thing, it makes you look really indecisive if you are not talking about the subject of the department the admissions tutors will be in. You can't write a good PS for such a wide range of subjects.
beetrootsalad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
Having read PSs that do this sort of thing, it makes you look really indecisive if you are not talking about the subject of the department the admissions tutors will be in. You can't write a good PS for such a wide range of subjects.
okay, that makes sense, what do you propose i do then?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
okay, that makes sense, what do you propose i do then?
Narrow down your course choice before you write your PS, or write multiple PSs focused on the individual courses to help you decide. You can also submit separate PSs to the unis, but they don't have to accept them
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Focus on general skills, teamwork, leadership and communication etc.
beetrootsalad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
Narrow down your course choice before you write your PS, or write multiple PSs focused on the individual courses to help you decide. You can also submit separate PSs to the unis, but they don't have to accept them
thank you!! that's a good idea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.31%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.23%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.78%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.32%
No - I live at home during term anyway (111)
29.37%

Watched Threads