holycookie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Can I do: Chem, bio, economics and Spanish AS and still be a strong applicant for oxbridge? I do want to do maths but i also want to do economics and my school doesnt offer economics as AS...
summer044
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you're applying to medicine, then math is not a requirement. However, it won't make you a strong applicant they typically look for biology, CHEMISTRY as a must and at least one other additional related subject whether it be math, physics or further maths. Like I said it's not listed as a requirement but to be a strong candidate I would definitely recommend you consider dropping Spanish if not economics. Medicine is very competitive so it's always a good idea to have the strongest application so meaning: strongest subjects, strongest grades, work experience and extracurriculars. Anything that makes you stand out will be beneficial.

Hope this helps
holycookie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by summer044)
If you're applying to medicine, then math is not a requirement. However, it won't make you a strong applicant they typically look for biology, CHEMISTRY as a must and at least one other additional related subject whether it be math, physics or further maths. Like I said it's not listed as a requirement but to be a strong candidate I would definitely recommend you consider dropping Spanish if not economics. Medicine is very competitive so it's always a good idea to have the strongest application so meaning: strongest subjects, strongest grades, work experience and extracurriculars. Anything that makes you stand out will be beneficial.

Hope this helps
Thanks so much for your reply! Do you think if i do Chem, bio, spanish and Maths AS it will be better?
summer044
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by holycookie)
Thanks so much for your reply! Do you think if i do Chem, bio, spanish and Maths AS it will be better?
Yes 100%, if you can't take maths A level then its definitely worth something to have it as an AS. But if you want my honest opinion I would still suggest you take it as an A level just to put you in the strongest position possible for Oxford and Cambridge. The decision in the end is ultimately up to you and you need to do what you think is best for you <33
Uzair63
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by holycookie)
Can I do: Chem, bio, economics and Spanish AS and still be a strong applicant for oxbridge? I do want to do maths but i also want to do economics and my school doesnt offer economics as AS...
You have biology and chemistry which are the crucial subjects, I’d only opt to do another science subject if your not that confident with either Biology or Chemistry, eg you could still apply with like Biology/Chemistry and Maths/Physics and have a few options. Having that extra science subject will just allow a safety net in case you hugely struggle with Biology or Chemistry. If your good at Economics and Spanish and enjoy them, then there’s no harm in choosing them. Just again be confident that you could achieve A grades in them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (487)
33.31%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (608)
41.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (299)
20.45%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.65%

Watched Threads