Did anyone ever get accepted/went for medicine in Oxbridge?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I can't even fathom anyone getting accepted for medicine(one of the most difficult courses to get accepted for) and Oxbridge(the most prestigious universities) and them together like you must be a superhuman and if someone did the amount of respect and awe I have for you is like unreal lol.
Like how does oneself even achieve that so if you did please tell me how was it like everything!
This thread is for me to see if it is even possible and does those people even exist!
thank you!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I can't even fathom anyone getting accepted for medicine(one of the most difficult courses to get accepted for) and Oxbridge(the most prestigious universities) and them together like you must be a superhuman and if someone did the amount of respect and awe I have for you is like unreal lol.
Like how does oneself even achieve that so if you did please tell me how was it like everything!
This thread is for me to see if it is even possible and does those people even exist!
thank you!
Can confirm they're a myth. Like Bigfoot, or Donald Trump.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I thought so myself, thanks for confirming!
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
thank you!
Rumour has it once upon a time in the late 90s someone did graduate from medicine at Oxford, but its unconfirmed.
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Heyy, I haven’t and I won’t since I don’t want to do medicine but!!!
I had a classmate in high school who was ok in lessons and pretty much average and maybe a bit lower in academics and I knew his brother too. I thought his brother might be like him but no boom shocker
Class of 2020, he was accepted into Cambridge and the best bit was that it was for medicine!
I was like holy crap, he must’ve worked harddd
So it is not a myth my friend but it happens if your the chosen one with a lightning scar
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
Rumour has it once upon a time in the late 90s someone did graduate from medicine at Oxford, but its unconfirmed.
Oh my!

Are they still alive to this day?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh my!

Are they still alive to this day?
As I say its unconfirmed, current status unknown
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Heyy, I haven’t and I won’t since I don’t want to do medicine but!!!
I had a classmate in high school who was ok in lessons and pretty much average and maybe a bit lower in academics and I knew his brother too. I thought his brother might be like him but no boom shocker
Class of 2020, he was accepted into Cambridge and the best bit was that it was for medicine!
I was like holy crap, he must’ve worked harddd
So it is not a myth my friend but it happens if your the chosen one with a lightning scar
Oh wow, that means they are a few chosen ones, I am glad to know you had the lucky chance to have an acquaintance with them.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
As I say its unconfirmed, current status unknown
What if I have been in their presence what would I do then?
How would I show my respect to their holy presence?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What if I have been in their presence what would I do then?
How would I show my respect to their holy presence?
its a mystery
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Lol! Clue: this is a real Oxford medical graduate...
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
You are amazing. :rofl3:
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
thank you!
(puts hand up) Yes, my son is a fourth year medic at Oxford. How did he do it? Read his journey to Oxford in my chapter of Oxford Demystified

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6019726

My son's chapter about him applying, getting accepted and the course:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6044384

And here's another chapter by an Oxford offer holder (now first year medical student)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post90128126
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
thank you!
These students are no different from people doing medicine elsewhere - they all get the same qualification and there's no advantage. In fact many able students chose another university because they prefer the the structure of the course and actually seeing patients.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Lol! Clue: this is a real Oxford medical graduate...
No OMG!
I finally met one! they are real it isn't just a myth OMG!

Dude, how do you feeeel?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
These students are no different from people doing medicine elsewhere - they all get the same qualification and there's no advantage. In fact many able students chose another university because they prefer the the structure of the course and actually seeing patients.
You have this really weird fixed idea that Oxbridge medical students don't see patients.

Very odd.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
thank you!
You don't have to be a genius at school. My son rarely came top in his science exams, but he worked very hard on the medical bit.

When he was doing his finals at home I only saw him when he came downstairs for his meals and for one hour per day at 9pm to watch tv and chat.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
You don't have to be a genius at school. My son rarely came top in his science exams, but he worked very hard on the medical bit.

When he was doing his finals at home I only saw him when he came downstairs for his meals and for one hour per day at 9pm to watch tv and chat.
I am glad your son's sacrifice paid off!
You must be a very proud mum
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Democracy)
You have this really weird fixed idea that Oxbridge medical students don't see patients.

Very odd.
And just when they are in the fourth year and about to meet patients in hospital - Covid!!!

They are saying January 2021 but even that's not certain.

Yes they did see patients before that but in the GP surgery. He did a few weeks with a GP this term, but even these consultations are mostly by phone. All the students are gagging to get on the wards, but it's just not possible.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am glad your son's sacrifice paid off!
You must be a very proud mum
I'm proud of my other son, too, who read German there and is now a qualified ship broker (but can't get a job as the companies are not hiring) :cry2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (782)
42.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (366)
19.71%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise