undergraduate from non Russel group chances of going to LSE postgraduate course

Watch
Anbens11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,

I am aspiring to be a management consultant at a top consulting firm however, I’m aware my university may not be targeted by the Big 3. Students that attend or have attended LSE/LBS/Imperial/UCL etc for postgraduate courses, will coming from a non Russel group university put me at a disadvantage? Have many of your coursemates come from top universities or is a mixture?

Thanks in advance for your answers/help
Last edited by Anbens11; 4 weeks ago
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anbens11)
Hi,

I am aspiring to be a management consultant at a top consulting firm however, I’m aware my university may not be targeted by the Big 3. Students that attend or have attended LSE/LBS/Imperial/UCL etc for postgraduate courses, will coming from a non Russel group university put me at a disadvantage? Have many of your coursemates come from top universities or is a mixture?

Thanks in advance for your answers/help
Well coming from a non-russell group uni won't put you at an advantage but not to say you couldn't do it. The Big 3 are notoriously hard to get into anyway regardless of if you went to one of those universities for postgraduate study.

I think it depends on firstly what university you are at which is non-russell group as that could range from the Loughborough/ Leicester all the way down to Solent/ Anglia Ruskin; so obviously would be in a better place if you currently attend a top non-russell group university too.

Another thing is the main way to get into these companies is based on relevant work experience/ internships. Do you have any of these/ will you apply for some for next summer?

Next how did you do in your A levels, some top consultancy/ finance/ banking firms filter out based on A level results so even if you went to LSE/LBS/Imperial/UCL with good experience, if your A level results are bad that may cause you to struggle also.

Finally, if you cant get into the big 3 consulting firms, why not try for the consulting division in the big 4 accountancy firms or a smaller/ niche consultancy boutique and work there for a few years before moving across to one of the big 3.
Anbens11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi tommy988,

Thanks for your detailed reply. This has really helped! To give you further context I am on a placement year at the moment with a well know asset management company (not sure if that helps). I also go to Aston University, with 104 ucas points so I’m aware that realistically this will work against me.

Following this, I thought for my application to look more attractive to the Big 3 and the Big 4 a masters from a top uni would be necessary. It’s true competition for the Big 3 is notoriously high so at the same timeI would be more than happy to go into the Big 4 consultancy roles too!

I am hoping to secure an internship for consulting with PWC next summer, fingers crossed!
Last edited by Anbens11; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads