Using first year results as entry requirements for other universities

Watch
AlgebraKing3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How common is it for students to and for universities to accept results from the first year from one university as alternative entry requirements to another university? This could be for example, a 2:1 from the first year at Liverpool is an alternative to A*AA for entering into the first year of Manchester.
Last edited by AlgebraKing3; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unis usually still want to see A level grades that match their entry requirements.
There isnt a direct '2i = AAA A levels' or whatever ,equivalent - different qualifications and not a national system.
Just because you got a good first year result at one Unis doesnt mean you get entrance to the course at another.

All you can do is email each Uni and ask., but prepare yourself for No.
AlgebraKing3
Rep:
?
I also want to know is this common practice or is it something that universities don't like people to know?
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AlgebraKing3)
I also want to know is this common practice or is it something that universities don't like people to know?
Transfers are fairly uncommon. Transfer where the applicant doesn't meet the AL (or equivalent) entry requirements for the course are even more uncommon.

As above, you can ask, but in the majority of cases you'll get a polite no.
AlgebraKing3
Rep:
?
I'd also like to get an idea of what people think of the concept of using first year results as alternative entry requirements.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd also like to get an idea of what people think of the concept of using first year results as alternative entry requirements.
I would just repeat what is in post #2 of this thread tbh. Uni’s don’t like doing this and you’d be fortunate to find somewhere that does. You can approach them and ask.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What does it matter what people think of it?
All that matters is whether unis will accept it or not.
As stated it isn’t particularly common but you can only ask the unis in question whether they will or not.
I wouldn’t recommend using it as the plan. You’d be better off resitting a-levels and getting into the course as normal or looking for foundation years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (99)
28.53%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.97%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (67)
19.31%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.11%

Watched Threads