Jobs for a 15 year old/Work permits

Watch
Spidersheep99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How would a 15-year-old go about getting a job? I’m in Dorset and I’m not exactly sure how the child work permit works (if I even need one). Also which companies would hire someone my age?
mary388
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You shouldn’t need a work permit as long as your employer sticks to the law about employing a child but they’ll know all about that. I got my first job around four months after turning 15 so you should be fine
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don't need a work permit but you do need to find an employer that is prepared to employ someone for the just the restricted hours a 15 year old is allowed to do. It is easier for them to employ a 16 year old so that will make it harder for you to find a job.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Babysitting is a great job to have. That way you can work around the limited hours of work for a person of your age. Post or send out some colourful leaflets or eye catching flyers in mailboxes, ask around online for bits of helpful advice or tips from those who know more and start a business going. Craft up a mini snappy advert for a local publication in case. Also have a website and do not forget to write down a mobile phone number or email address as well so that you can attempt to contact the parents easily and quickly should the worst occur. Make sure to have at least four or five trustworthy references, a current highest level DBS check, and a appropriate level of confidence which is needed to handle all kinds of tough situations at work and a first aid course refresher is always recommended in case. You can even use that to your advantage here later on when finding traditional jobs as a adult. Best of luck to you. If it helps, experience level is important. Update your babysitting skills periodically too on top of that.
This is a great way to earn some holiday money during the summer vacation etc and at Christmas. Invent a short list of book, activity and game recommendations to refer to and use to entertain the children. Keep that in a safe place at all times and print off at minimum two copies to have. Definitely also find a way to keep track of how much money which you are making each week, a plain old notebook is good for this or you can even use a Excel spreadsheet.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Spidersheep99)
How would a 15-year-old go about getting a job? I’m in Dorset and I’m not exactly sure how the child work permit works (if I even need one). Also which companies would hire someone my age?
Not many companies will take on under 16's.
A) because of the rules and regulations involved and b) because of not having a national insurance number.

You could try a paper round
izzxm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t spend time applying for bigger companies and supermarkets as they involve contracts which you’ll need to have a national insurance number for. You can try asking local cafes and restaurants, i work at a cafe and we’ve had people start at 15 - of course they didn’t have a major role but were paid for doing a bit of washing up and some waitressing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (99)
28.29%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (68)
19.43%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (37)
10.57%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
28.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed