Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have the following structures
-Bowmans Capsule
-Glomerulus
-Convoluted tubules
-Loop of Henle
-Collecting duct
and the following Functions
-Filters blood by increasing pressure to produce filtrate that enters Bowmans Capsule
-Reabsorbs water back into the blood depending on level of ADH in blood and collects urine to pass to the ureter
-Maintains water concentrations in the body by filtering out salts
-Collect filtrate forced out of the glomerulus and allows it to enter kidney tubules
-Glomerular filtrate flows through these and useful substances in the filtrate are reabsorbed back in the blood capillaries wound around them.

Could someone help me match the definitions?
I missed this topic because of corona and my teacher keeps ignoring all my emails, I begged my other teacher to let me swap to another biology teacher because this one isn’t very efficient in teaching and got ignored again, I searched everywhere about this but can’t find anything with similar definitions and even looked in my textbook which should’ve had the definitions but didn’t.... if someone could help I’d really appreciate it
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good morning!

Here's your solution - if you need more detailed info, pls PM me.

[explanations in italics]

-Bowmans Capsule: Collect filtrate forced out of the glomerulus and allows it to enter kidney tubules - this is the almost spherical globe-shaped part, which has a wide afferent arteriole around it and a narrow efferent arteriole, so the pressure created forces fluid into it from the intricately branched capillary network around it [the glomerulus].
-Glomerulus: Filters blood by increasing pressure to produce filtrate that enters Bowmans Capsule - as above
-Convoluted tubules Glomerular filtrate flows through these and useful substances in the filtrate are reabsorbed back in the blood capillaries wound around them - there is the proximal CT and the distal CT [proximal means first or initial part e.g. the proximal part of the leg is the thigh; distal is opposite - distal part of leg is the foot [sorry v simple e.g.]
-Loop of Henle: Maintains water concentrations in the body by filtering out salts - look up counter-current mechanism OR PM me.
-Collecting duct: Reabsorbs water back into the blood depending on level of ADH in blood and collects urine to pass to the ureter - "collects" urine AND "collecting duct" gives it away - water is reabsorbed extremely efficiently by the conc-n gradient generated by the loop of Henle [see previous] - the volume of glomerular filtrate produced in the Bowman's capsule per time is 180 L/day, but we don't spend our whole lives sitting on the toilet :mad: cos vast majority is reabsorbed here, so average urine output in a freezing country like UK is 1.5 L/day for average intake.

Hope this sorts out your query!
M.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.55%

Watched Threads