The Student Room Group

Is this right?

When I was younger someone told me if your parents split up you have to live with your mum because she’s the one that had you. I kind of believed this growing up because people who I know who have split up parents live with their mum weather they are a guy or girl. My parents were always on the verge of doing it and are now but I just was thinking will I have to stay with my mum and I don’t want to.
I'm pretty sure the mother no longer gets custody rights. you choose where to live and can travel between the two
Reply 2
Original post by josie71202
I'm pretty sure the mother no longer gets custody rights. you choose where to live and can travel between the two

Alright
Reply 3

Who do you live with?
Original post by Anonymous
Who do you live with?

my parents are together I live with both
Reply 5
my parents are together I live with both

Alright are you happy with it?
Alright are you happy with it?

yeah they get on well
Reply 7
yeah they get on well

Nice
Reply 8
yeah they get on well

Do you believe in the pandemic?
Do you believe in the pandemic?

yes 100% my godmother manages nurses who have been dragged on the front line
No I think that the children should go with who they feel the most comfortable with, it should be their choice tbh but at the same time that parent will have more of a responsibility in a sense so I guess they need to be able to match those requirements.
When I was younger someone told me if your parents split up you have to live with your mum because she’s the one that had you. I kind of believed this growing up because people who I know who have split up parents live with their mum weather they are a guy or girl. My parents were always on the verge of doing it and are now but I just was thinking will I have to stay with my mum and I don’t want to.

I am sure that you can choose who you want to live with
Once a child reaches a certain age their opinion is taken into consideration more but whilst the child is relatively young - say primary school age - whoever is best able to care for the child will have primary custody. So if the dad works away then it makes sense for the mother to have custody the bulk of the time. Likewise, if the dad lived much closer to the school the child attends and living with the mother full time meant the child would have to change school, it's more likely the dad would get custody in the week at least. Whichever option results in less disruption to the child's daily life is normally chosen.

But once the child gets older, they have more of a say in where they spend their time.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest