BTS_biased
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My parents want me to get a driving license. But I am scared of driving. Is it normal to feel like this? Also would it go away once I start practising?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes
BTS_biased
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Yes
Elaborate a bit please
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BTS_biased)
My parents want me to get a driving license. But I am scared of driving. Is it normal to feel like this? Also would it go away once I start practising?
It can be - there are too many distracted, or aggressive drivers. It's good that you appear to be taking the responsibility seriously. Yes, as you gain confidence, it will get better.
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on you. If you are a smart and good driver, then most of the time it really isnt. I used to be realllly scared, cos I would just watch car crashes (to past the time). But I got in the driver seat and my instructor actually helped me calm down. Your instructor will calm you and guide you on the road. There isnt a need to be afraid
BTS_biased
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
It can be - there are too many distracted, or aggressive drivers. It's good that you appear to be taking the responsibility seriously. Yes, as you gain confidence, it will get better.
Thank you
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Elaborate a bit please
Your feelings are valid. But in time they should disappear if not then rethink public transport.
tmr19
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it's perfectly natural to have a natural caution. Before I started driving legally on roads, I'd done some driving previously (offroad, tracks etc) and am big into cars, but even I started with a some apprehension. It's a lot of repsonibility to be driving 2 tons of metal at 70mph with the potential to kill and injure, so tbh it's more concerning when people have absolutely no respect or caution going into it.

However, this feeling wears off once you start, so I wouldn't worry at all. Just have common sense and take things easy and you'll be fine.
tashkent46
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, other people driving is.
BTS_biased
Rep:
?
(Original post by tashkent46)
No, other people driving is.
What is?
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What is?
The scary thing is sharing the road with so many people, many who shouldn't be on the road. Was just a joke lol.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh yeah, it's terrifying. It took me months to even pluck up the courage to phone my instructor to initially book lessons, let alone start them :lol:

But remember, they won't expect you to know pretty much anything on the first lesson. You'll start from the very beginning and go over the basics, the pedals, gears, steering, moving off, coming to a stop, road positioning etc, and then work up to doing more complicated things. I think the most important thing for me was the trust I had in my instructor, he's a good combination of being patient but also pushed me to make sure I was progressing. A good instructor won't let you drive on main roads before they think you're ready, either, which can also be comforting if you struggle with confidence like I do.

Over time things will start coming naturally and you'll do things without even thinking. I remember feeling so overwhelmed when approaching a junction at first as it always felt like there was so much to do and remember but I just do things automatically now. You gain muscle memory and get used to the car you're driving too. So yeah, I'm not going to pretend it's not scary but it definitely gets easier with a good instructor and some self-confidence.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 3 weeks ago
BTS_biased
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Oh yeah, it's terrifying. It took me months to even pluck up the courage to phone my instructor to initially book lessons, let alone start them :lol:

But remember, they won't expect you to know pretty much anything on the first lesson. You'll start from the very beginning and go over the basics, the pedals, gears, steering, moving off, coming to a stop, road positioning etc, and then work up to doing more complicated things. I think the most important thing for me was the trust I had in my instructor, he's a good combination of being patient but also pushed me to make sure I was progressing. A good instructor won't let you drive on main roads before they think you're ready, either, which can also be comforting if you struggle with confidence like I do.

Over time things will start coming naturally and you'll do things without even thinking. I remember feeling so overwhelmed when approaching a junction at first as it always felt like there was so much to do and remember but I just do things automatically now. You gain muscle memory and get used to the car you're driving too. So yeah, I'm not going to pretend it's not scary but it definitely gets easier with a good instructor and some self-confidence.
Thank you for this honest and detailled answer
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
*licence

20 mph no
30 mph no
40 mph no
50+ mph yes
Johanny x
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm sure it is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (814)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.68%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise